D40 Pads and Rotors

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

group3j

Reaction score
Upgraded D40 Pads and Rotors - Happy Days

G'day all,

I recently fitted some new pads and rotors to my truck ('08 Spanish D40) and I'm sufficiently pleased with them that I thought I'd recommend the combo to others who might be sussing out some new brakes.

I decided to go with DBA rotors, as I've always had good experiences with them. The part for my truck is the DBA2310, which is the standard rotor (non-slotted, non-cross drilled). I went standard simply because I didn't see enough of a benefit of slotted to offset the price difference over the stock rotors. I also figured that, as a consumable, if my decision is wrong I can upgrade the rotors if required.
I picked the rotors up "Vicperfparts" on ebay for $168 the pair.

In terms of pads, I'm not a fan of Bendix, Ferrodo, RDA etc and decided to go with the same brand of pad I run on another car I own - Hawk. I initially had issues tracking down the part number, but after some comparisons between the pad sizes and profiles in the Bendix and Hawk catalogue, I managed to track down the correct part number for my truck - HB618.Y.625. I had wanted to run the ceramic pad (HB618.Z.625), however no-one on the planet seems to stock them, so I settled for the LTS pad instead.
Given I've previously been quoted twice the US price for Hawk pads, I had planned on importing some from Summit in the US. However, I decided to cover my bases and call the Australian distributor - V-Sport (I should point out that I received my previous Hawk quotes through companies other than V-Sport). Much to my surprise, V-Sport quoted me $170ish (I can't remember the exact price) - about half of what I was expecting. Given Summit was going to be $189 delivered, I was pretty impressed.

Having fitted the parts up, I'm pretty impressed in the improvement over the OEM gear. Firstly, there's considerably less dust. There has also been a substantial improvement in the consistency of the brakes under heavy pedal pressure - I no longer get that vague, "are the brakes about to fade out on me" feeling. They also offer noticeably more bite when compared to the OEM pads - less pedal pressure is needed to get the same level of retardation. Finally, they have faaaaaaar superior release characteristics compared to the OEM parts - a small lift will get the truck out of the ABS zone, compared to the stock gear which seemed to require a great deal of pedal movement to achieve the same end.

Overall, I'm most impressed and would happily recommend the combo to anyone looking to move away from the OEM parts.

Finally, guess I should clarify that I'm not associated with any of the aforementioned companies. Just one happy camper. :)

Last edited:
awesome post mate. i replaced mine almost 10k ago and went the std DBA as well. I went with Bendix pads and also have very little brake dust now. I have heard the rotors are soft and most of the dust is off them, makes sense since I replaced mine at 50,000.

overal, I got the same results, much better feel, bite and consistency in the pedal.

having never heard of Hawk pads, I'd interested to give them a go, but for now, I've gotta say I'm happy with Bendix

Great write up... Thanks!

Having come from a performance car background, and large diameter slotted rotor cars I saht bricks when I hit the brake pedal in the Navara. I honestly thought I was not going to stop.

Given that mine is also an '08 Model, I may look into this more deeply..

No problem gents. The good oil should always be shared around.... :)

BJJ84,
Yeah, many folks are happy with Bendix, which is quite fair enough. I also used to like them, but they seemed to change their brew some years ago and, after several sets through different cars, I decided I didn't like the feel of them. Its probably more personal taste than anything.

Re Hawk, they are a US company and their pads are used widely within motorsport. I actually run their DTC line of pads - which are epic - in my weekend car. I had Hawk "Blues" recommended to me many years ago and I've not looked back. :)

Black_Outlaw,
If you've come from a performance car background, then I absolutely understand your reaction to the OEM Navara brake - they are utterly shiteful. Unfortunately, the whole system is quite sub-par in my humble opinion, but replacement pads and rotors seem to have gone a long way to at least making my truck feel safe.

Cheers

Last edited:
Good stuff Group3j
I went with the DBA Drilled and Slotted beasties a few years ago. I was actually the bunny for the first set of rotors off the assembly line. Just for your info I got my Hawke Ceramic pads from CompFriction. They modded a set of Subaru pads I think. Am just about to order the same again.
Definately an improvement over stock and zero dust

Gday Guys, just wondering if its a straight forward swap of the rotars like my old holden?
or is there more involved, any tips or tricks would be appreciated>
Thanks Bob

I installed the DBA T3 4000 series slotted rotors, with Bendix 4x4 pads. I was happy with the result, and Bob these were a direct swap, only took me 30-45min to install both sides including pads.
Hope this helps

I installed the DBA T3 4000 series slotted rotors, with Bendix 4x4 pads. I was happy with the result, and Bob these were a direct swap, only took me 30-45min to install both sides including pads.
Hope this helps

Thanks for your help. i tried to get the t3 4000 series dba had none in stock until october. so i went with the t2 4000

Gday Guys, just wondering if its a straight forward swap of the rotars like my old holden?
or is there more involved, any tips or tricks would be appreciated>
Thanks Bob

G'day Bob,

Sorry, I've been off the grid for a little while.

They are indeed a straight swap for the factory parts. Bolt out, bolt in. :)

Latest posts

Back