egt -engine off idea (basic)

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fudly

Reaction score
ok ive been reading the turbo timer posts and how there not quite effective because they don't take egt into account and I was thinking is there a reason you couldn't use a egt gauge such as
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_26&products_id=231
that's has the alarm output option to trigger a relay to hold the ignition on till the desired egt is reached??
I was thinking you could run the switching side of the relay so it earths thou the handbrake as a added safety measure and add a single throw switch in line with it for a override if desired ofcource.
then all you would have to do is set the alarm on the gauge to the 100-150 temp you wanted.

now im just wondering if theres some reason this wouldn't work all advice would be helpfull

It's an excellent idea. Jaycar actually sell an EGT gauge with that in mind. They also sell two turbotimer kits, one monitors some of the engine parameters to make a best-guess of how long the TT should run for.

No reason it can't be done. That's all turbo timers really are, just a relay that feeds power in after the key is turned off. I don't know of anyone that's tried it, but if you do make sure you put up some info about it...

The jaycar kit Old.Tony links to works fine for that purpose , cheap and easy, other probes better for the purpose are cheap , if your not keen on building the kit I'm sure we could come to an arrangement to build it for you

Ive been looking for a use for my alarm trigger.thanks guys..problem is i can never get my d40 hot enough to warrant it.

that's a good idea mate, just have to make sure the power that feeds the egt gauge, and relay is a constant or at least stays on while the turbo timer is counting down.

They way i set my turbo timer up, all the acc's items turn off, including my gauges and only the engine runs on while it counts down.

I have just set my turbo timer to run for 30 sec after i turn the engine off. my probe is before the turbo and i've never seen it above 200, let alone 150 when i park the ute. So i figure 30sec is heaps of time to let the turbo cool down a bit and have some cooler oil run through it.

I was thinking you could run the switching side of the relay so it earths thou the handbrake as a added safety measure and add a single throw switch in line with it for a override if desired ofcource.

good idea.
I was going to do this myself but then after some thought I couldnt be bothered. I think i'm finished moding the nav, guess im waiting for the next car.
Great idea tho just make sure that you do run it through the hand brake or a separate timer to stop someone driving away with your car. If it doesnt cool down enough it will never turn off.

Turbo timers are illegal. It is not legal to leave the engine running while the vehicle is unattended. The authorieties do not differentiate btween turbo timers and dill not shutting their engines off. Much better to use a pyrometer and idle the temp down to about 200 degrees. Usually you stop in town limits and the egts should be around that mark at town speeds. If not you would need to get your truck tuned properly.
no one needs a turbo timer, save your money. If it bothers you buy a pyrometer which will be useful for more than just the shutoff.

in all honestly who has a turbo timer that has been booked for it. ive had mine in for for over 2 years and havnt had a problem. it ways is set to 1 min.
I think u would be pretty unlucky if you got booked

Turbo timers are illegal. It is not legal to leave the engine running while the vehicle is unattended. The authorieties do not differentiate btween turbo timers and dill not shutting their engines off. Much better to use a pyrometer and idle the temp down to about 200 degrees. Usually you stop in town limits and the egts should be around that mark at town speeds. If not you would need to get your truck tuned properly.
no one needs a turbo timer, save your money. If it bothers you buy a pyrometer which will be useful for more than just the shutoff.

turbo timers arnt illegal just to leave your vehicle unattended is. if your still within 3 meters of your car it can be locked with engine goin nps and my idea is not to have a turbo timer.

Latest posts

Back