Harrop E locker rear

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChopsueyST

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Been thinking real hard of my next modification and can't seem to get past the value of a installing a locker. From what I have read so far, a locker up front may not be best on the D40's as the diffs are rather weak? so the rear looks to be the go?

Tried looking for some recent reviews on late model D40 ST's installed with the harrop e locker in the rear but came up with zilch. Has anyone out there had one installed lately and can give us a bit of a review?

Cheers

Mik

The D40 Frontier comes factory with an E Locker and many guys actually yank them out and install an Eaton TruTrac center.I dare say seeing Harrop sells the Eaton E Locker then they might be able to get the truTrac as well

Why would you put a TruTrac in a 4WD ?..these diffs are a LSD and are hopeless if both wheels arent fully loaded.

e-lockers are hard to go past== just need to get over the initial costs

The TruTrac is a much better LSD than the factory unit. Many on here have already been through the deal of the factory LSD failing.
Can totally understand wanting to lock the rear when you want it but the TruTrac does lock up quickly .
Not saying the TruTrac is a better option just saying its another option from Eaton

The TruTrac is a much better LSD than the factory unit. Many on here have already been through the deal of the factory LSD failing.
Can totally understand wanting to lock the rear when you want it but the TruTrac does lock up quickly .
Not saying the TruTrac is a better option just saying its another option from Eaton

I took the std LSD out of my 5.4 Ford FPV and put a Trutrac in it--on dry surfaces great when both wheels are on the ground

my FPV gets stuck coming into my driveway at an angle as the car is so stiff the inside rear comes off the bitumen by an inch..stuck..gotta jab the brakes, handbrake on sometime does it to load up the inside wheel in order to provide drive to the wheel on the ground.

Look how they work and you'll understand how they are a fully open diff and great for street use on bitumen

I do understand the differences between an open center , the LSD and the locker.It all depends on what you want to do.
A strong LSD will keep both wheels spinning most of the time.
Just saying sometimes a good LSD is of more use than a locker depending on what your trying to do

Hi Guys

Appreciate all your feedback. I am however more interested being able to lock a diff than to install a good lsd.

It's because the front diff is weak that you want to lock it up! Damage to the rear diff is rather uncommon, and same for a locked front diff.

Hi Tony

What's your thoughts on the write up on the ARB website in regards to which end to lock, http://www.arb.com.au/getting-started/ask-arb/air-lockers/010 Front or rear_.php ,I was thinking of locking the rear only as I'm worried too much load will be placed on the weaker front drive line potentially busting the diff housing or a cv, understand replacing the front with a locker will get rid of the weaker gear, but worried what else might go bang.

I'm usually pretty careful with the amount of throttle used when climbing rutty rocky hills and mindful not to drive it like I stole it, i tend to try and let the km2's grip with low throttle on low range, seems to do the job most of the time without too much drama, actually pretty blown away by what she has been able to climb with just with a set of good tyres, a locked stronger rear end would allow me to crawl at an even slower pace me thinks.

I'm getting a front locker and having been getting a few quotes. The harrop e locker looks the go. Bit dearer but don't need to run airlines which risk the chance of melting/breaking which I have seen happen on several occasions.

Latest posts

Back