Hi All, new to everything!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlh132

Reaction score
Hi,

Names Jonathan, I recently purchased an 03 ST-R 3L turbo diesel and im about to set it alight! Nah not really, but it's been a pain staking process that never presented its self when first looked and and test driven!

It seems as though my turbo isn't reaching full boost, the vehicle drives well but just seems a little underpowered. I spoke to a guy from eastern turbo chargers and was told it's a common problem with the ZD30 model where the shaft or something gets very worn and as a result pressure is lost from it not sealing properly. I was quoted $1210 for a complete turbo rebuild with billeted parts. I have also looked at a new turbo, identical to the original and that was quoted at $650 for the turbo or $350 for just the internals that I need.

My other problem is that last week I was merging on to the freeway and the guy next to me wasnt letting me in so I dropped it in to 3rd while doing about 70km/h and put my foot down, when the revs went over about 3.5k the engine warning light started flashing but there didnt seem to be any significant loss of power? Igot off the freeway, pulled over, turned the engine off waited a minute or so and turned the ignition back on and the light was still flashing, turned the ignition off then on again and it was not flashing any more? I drove home with out an issue. I checked the fuel primer hose and tried to drain what I thought might be water in the fuel out but the diesel was clean. If I rev the engine over 3.5k the light comes on. but as soon as I turn off the engine and turn back on its off and runs fine.

Can anyone shed some light,I have done a forum search but no ones problem seems to be identical to mine?

thanks in advance

G'day mate and welcome to the forum.Make sure you look at the VNOG tyhreads for upcoming trips and touring.If your turbo has alot of ware in it stop driving it as when it goes it will push the turbo bits through the engine and stuff that aswell.Disconnect your battery for 5 minutes and this will reset the computer.See if you have the same problam with the engine light coming on then.If you are after sliders or rear bar I'm the man to help you there.Chers Scotty

Welcome to the forum, Have you rung nissan about the over revving, I know if the revs get too high there is a computer warning but ask them what figure that is

Welcome to the forum.

Like Scotty says, if your turbocharger is worn, you are risking parts of a destructing turbo impeller landing inside your motor and destroying it. Easiest way to give it a quick check is to give the shaft a wobble with your (very clean) fingertip and give it a spin. It should not wobble at all, not even a tiny bit, and it should spin very smoothly without any hint of grittiness.

If you suddenly rev a turbocharged engine with a bootful of loud pedal, the exhaust pressure builds tremendously and can easily over-power the turbine. This will result in an overboost which will trigger the engine warning light. Repeated overboosts will cause the ECU to chuck a fit about it (and rightly so).

What happens if you slowly bring the rpm up over 3500? Do you have a boost gauge and if so, what is it reading?

If you have a bluetooth OBD adapter and a modern phone, you could use a program to provide info like this in real time from the ECU itself.

If it's not overboosting and you are actually not getting enough boost (noting that the D22s don't surge forward when the turbo comes on - they're actually very smooth) then you could be looking at an injector/fuel issue. Fuel pumps aren't cheap, but if someone's suspecting the fuel pump, check the fuel rail pressure sensor first (it's cheaper!).

Thanks for the replies, greatly appreciated! Is there any one in the melbourne eastern suburbs area that might be able to show me what exactly I'm looking at? I have about as much of an idea about how cars work as I do about plumbing...... I'm a sparky, haha so I have no idea about plumbing.

Anyone who would be able to show me a few things about the vehicle I would be very grateful!!! I guess if someone with the same year D22 would be willing to take mine for a spin and let me know how it compares to theirs it would be a start. I wouldn't feel comfortable pulling parts off with out someone who knows what they're doing. I live in emerald Vic, but spend a fair amount of time around glen waverley.

The engine warning light still comes on if I ease the revs on, so if Im sitting on 100km/h and squeeze it up to about 120-130 the light comes on, this is all in 5th gear. or If i'm going up a hill in 3rd and the revs get above 3.5k then again the light comes on. It doesnt seem to be a consistent thing though.

I will take it to a diesel mech in the next few weeks to see about the injectors, I've been recommended a place by a friend who says they are a good mob and straight down the line, so I won't get ripped off.

Back