Intermittent Key System Error/4wd Error

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 52916

Reaction score
My 2016 ST-X has an intermittent (probably 2 separate problems that are intertwined) electrical problems, local Nissan are clueless (been there twice) and is at an Auto electrician now, but they are also scratching their head (it won't play up for them).

The 1st issue is a "Key system error", where the car won't start (doesn't even crank), I can tell as soon as I open the door when it's not going to start, because the centre display is blank when I open the door. Usually hitting the push start enables accessories, leave it 5 to 10 seconds to override the immobilizer (RACQ guy description/advice), turn it off and it starts (the key system error will stay on the display until it is shut off). Usually it's the first start of the day, and I get it going. A few times (5 or 6 times in the last 2 years) it hasn't been the first start of the day, and the above hasn't worked, it just refuses to start. Once or twice, it started after opening and closing all the doors (discovered this when my family all hoped out to go back inside, and it literally started), the other few have literally just been to leave it 15 minutes, and it finally starts when someone is almost there to pick me up.... go figure

The 2nd issue (video) involves the same "Key system error" mixed with a "4wd error" that flash up on the display. When the 4wd error is on the display, the backlighting on the dash goes off, the indicators don't flash on the display (they are working though) and the car won't shut off (it's like the whole dash is dead - except the radio, tacho & speedo still work). Once the display cycles to Key system error or just the normal display, the push start button will shut the car off.

I am at my wits end, got a new key a few weeks ago, still had the same issues (I was somewhat confident that it wasn't going to fix the issue, but it was the cheapest roll the dice option I had). Anyone experienced anything similar, or have any inclination to the issue?

Attachments

• 10000000_7017899258240863_3296246317626096348_n.mp4
    18 MB
My 2016 ST-X has an intermittent (probably 2 separate problems that are intertwined) electrical problems, local Nissan are clueless (been there twice) and is at an Auto electrician now, but they are also scratching their head (it won't play up for them).

The 1st issue is a "Key system error", where the car won't start (doesn't even crank), I can tell as soon as I open the door when it's not going to start, because the centre display is blank when I open the door. Usually hitting the push start enables accessories, leave it 5 to 10 seconds to override the immobilizer (RACQ guy description/advice), turn it off and it starts (the key system error will stay on the display until it is shut off). Usually it's the first start of the day, and I get it going. A few times (5 or 6 times in the last 2 years) it hasn't been the first start of the day, and the above hasn't worked, it just refuses to start. Once or twice, it started after opening and closing all the doors (discovered this when my family all hoped out to go back inside, and it literally started), the other few have literally just been to leave it 15 minutes, and it finally starts when someone is almost there to pick me up.... go figure

The 2nd issue (video) involves the same "Key system error" mixed with a "4wd error" that flash up on the display. When the 4wd error is on the display, the backlighting on the dash goes off, the indicators don't flash on the display (they are working though) and the car won't shut off (it's like the whole dash is dead - except the radio, tacho & speedo still work). Once the display cycles to Key system error or just the normal display, the push start button will shut the car off.

I am at my wits end, got a new key a few weeks ago, still had the same issues (I was somewhat confident that it wasn't going to fix the issue, but it was the cheapest roll the dice option I had). Anyone experienced anything similar, or have any inclination to the issue?
Hi, did you get anywhere with this fault.. I'm having similar issues on a 2017 techna

Hi, did you get anywhere with this fault.. I'm having similar issues on a 2017 techna
Hi, I'm from Sweden and I have also the same problem and the Nissan dealer can't find what's wrong. Have you solved the problem?

Hi,

Have you solved the problem?

BR,

//Ola

Latest posts

Back