Joying Android Car Stereo

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you jump onto Facebook there was a group buy recently of something *very* similar to this in the Navara 4x4 Page... The guys that have purchased it are loving it - especially as you can install "Torque Pro" on then sync it with your Bluetooth ODBII dongle and display your car diagnostics on it..

He's now setup a Group Buy Head Unit page... Might be worth looking at..

Tyron, how did you get on with the head unit? They look pretty good for the price. Would be interested to see how the others got in aswell as I still live in the stone ages and am not in facecook.
They seem to have everything you need. I'll have to read the soecs a little closer as i see it can take an sd card, but just wondering if uou could put off road maps in it

Hi mate,

Installed it on the weekend

Bit of an update on the android head unit.

install was pretty easy, thought you do need to drill some new holes in the side bracket from the old head unit. as far as wiring it is all plug and play (except for the reverse camera). It is a pretty good head unit but it does have some issues, it is not refined as say a pioneer or some big brand. To replace the crappy music app and to get the steering wheel controls to work in all apps you need to install a custom ROM, this is pretty straight forward, thought to the tech illiterate people this could be daunting. If there was not a custom rom, I think the device would be average.

Radio reception sucks in the D40, some cars have FM amp in the antenna line and some have in the head unit, i assume the d40 is in the head unit. So you will want to get one of those. I would get a propper one and not an inline one. This will be about $30 us and will require wiring in (just for power).

Bluetooth audio sucks, not for music but for the person on the other end of the phone, they can hear a lot of static (and your voice), this is electrical interferece on the mic line, there is a well known mod you can do but it requires opening the unit and desoldering/soldering. looks pretty simple, i will probably have a crack at it at some point. but once again daunting.

only other neg i have is it will only sleep for 2 hrs, then it will require a cold boot when you turn it one, this takes about 30 seconds. Which sucks when you just want to get in the car and use it. The camera will work straight away though. I am working on getting around this, either through software or through wiring a relaying in to my central locking to boot it. Hopfuly software will get around it.

uploadfromtaptalk1442308686467.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1442308686467.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1442308686467.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 239
install was pretty easy, thought you do need to drill some new holes in the side bracket from the old head unit. as far as wiring it is all plug and play (except for the reverse camera). It is a pretty good head unit but it does have some issues, it is not refined as say a pioneer or some big brand. To replace the crappy music app and to get the steering wheel controls to work in all apps you need to install a custom ROM, this is pretty straight forward, thought to the tech illiterate people this could be daunting. If there was not a custom rom, I think the device would be average.

Radio reception sucks in the D40, some cars have FM amp in the antenna line and some have in the head unit, i assume the d40 is in the head unit. So you will want to get one of those. I would get a propper one and not an inline one. This will be about $30 us and will require wiring in (just for power).

Bluetooth audio sucks, not for music but for the person on the other end of the phone, they can hear a lot of static (and your voice), this is electrical interferece on the mic line, there is a well known mod you can do but it requires opening the unit and desoldering/soldering. looks pretty simple, i will probably have a crack at it at some point. but once again daunting.

only other neg i have is it will only sleep for 2 hrs, then it will require a cold boot when you turn it one, this takes about 30 seconds. Which sucks when you just want to get in the car and use it. The camera will work straight away though. I am working on getting around this, either through software or through wiring a relaying in to my central locking to boot it. Hopfuly software will get around it.

Mate,

Do you have some details for us on for example where to get the custom ROM from ..... maybe some pictures of your installation .....

Thanks in advance.

Tim

Just ordered one of these... Plus the 3g dongle and a shared data sim card to run GPS tracking and live traffic. We'll see how it goes.

Just ordered one of these... Plus the 3g dongle and a shared data sim card to run GPS tracking and live traffic. We'll see how it goes.

If you are planning to use the Bluetooth phone connection for calls you will need to invest in another Bluetooth system. This Joying unit is really as bad as people say. Mine is unusable to make calls. Handy unit for most everything but the Bluetooth is crap even with an external mike. Also even after loading my address book the unit is unable to identify the number of an incoming call and display the name of the caller, just the number.

Mine also only plays some cd/dvd's as some get stuck inside and I have to pull the unit apart to remove them. Also the dash cam is not automatic, you have to go into the menu, select car record, and press the record button every time you start the car. After the recent software update is now sometimes comes on automatically.

Just my experience.

This Joying unit is really as bad as people say.

I haven't found a negative review or comment yet - where have you seen the negative feedback?

Mine is unusable to make calls. Handy unit for most everything but the Bluetooth is crap even with an external mike. Also even after loading my address book the unit is unable to identify the number of an incoming call and display the name of the caller, just the number.

I had the same issue with my unnamed Windows CE based touchscreen I fitted in another car. I guess what attracted me to this Joying unit is that the Android OS can be fiddled with, and there's more support around, to try and fix issues like this. I guess to get decent plug-and-play performance you need to be buying the $1000 brand name units. Have you raised this with the Joying team? They seem reasonably active in troubleshooting and software revision.

Mine also only plays some cd/dvd's as some get stuck inside and I have to pull the unit apart to remove them.

That sucks... Luckily I don't use CDs and DVDs!

Also the dash cam is not automatic, you have to go into the menu, select car record, and press the record button every time you start the car. After the recent software update is now sometimes comes on automatically.

Thanks for the heads up! I had considered buying the dash cam... I will figure out a way to test the unit first to see if this is an issue, before I shell out on a camera.

Just my experience.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Latest posts

Back