knocking at start up when cold

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robo70

Reaction score
Hey everyone, first timer for this.
I have a 2011 D22 brought it new, I have 45K on the clock & have noticed a tapping/knocking coming from the front of the motor when cold, only lasts for a short time. Its like a lifter noise in some cars I have heard over the years. Happens now & then but after reading some posts Im a little worried.

I want to put a chip on it & block the EGR but think I should wait to see what the issue is with the noise.

Any help would be nice, I will visit the dealer regarding the issue but the last thing I want is to be told its common & it wont hurt it or it punches a conrod through the block.

Cheers

Robo

Standard for navara's mate, its mainly on the 2.5td but a couple of my mates have the knock in their 3.0s, navaras are pretty average quality compated to tritons and hilux.

I don't think its standard, it something tapping away when I start it, its sounds like something lacking oil or about to fail.
I read somewhere that the 2.5YD has had issues with the big ends, I'm worried that could be the warning sounds.

Nav D22 Rattles

Sounds like your over thinking a little, i have a 2.5 nav and it makes heaps of cold start rattles and hot running noises, i have taken it back to nissan a heap of times and they have even put a new complete motor in my car a year ago, then that motor was making noises so i took it back and then nissan stripped the new motor down and custom rebulit it, still rattles. Thats a deisel though, you know how a deisel engine works? The previous veichles i had were all unleaded big power jap race cars, if they made a rattle on start up i would consider a rebuild. Its a low cost, old technology veichle you have bought. Take it to nissan, leave it overnight so they can start it up when its cold and they can run diagnostic tests on it if your stressing out, if not warrantied it will be at least $150 min, anyway good luck mate, getting stuff out of nissan is like getting water from a stone!!

I hope I know how a diesel works, I'm a diesel mechanic.
If it is just a lifter it nothing to worry about

Last edited:
Thanks panda, I not %100 on the workings of a diesel but know enough about a noise that should not be in a motor when its running or at the start up. I have had petrol motors all my life, I had a 6.0L SS that did a big end, #7 spun, I re-built that & found that the last owner/s never changed the oil, it was like mud, only 70ks on the clock so that was a shame. Now I have the Navara, I will try Nissan.

LLadnar,

I was thinking it is a lifter, its only one that its tapping away, under the bonnet it sounds like its in the front of the motor. The tapping does change with revs but it only lasts 20 -30 sec. Its has to be a fault with a part, serviced every 10k running Nulon 5-30W full syn.

I hope I know how a diesel works, I'm a diesel mechanic.
If it is just a lifter it nothing to worry about

No offense old mate, was not meaning to upset anyone, what i meant was people like myself that have been driving around in petrol cars their whole lives don't really know what noises to expect out a diesel engine. My dad has been a mechanic his whole working career and i've been an automotive spray-painter for 17 years and some of the noises coming from the engine were unexpected even to us.

Hey mate I had/have the same symptoms you describe. Like a loud lifter noise..... Iv owned the car since brand new also a 2011 d22 and it never used to do it. Started of only happening for a second then went out 10 seconds. Took it to Nissan and left it there expecting a phone call that something in the top end was f#@&$d. When they eventually called me back first thing he asked was 'have you been driving this offroad?!' to which of course i replied no :p . He said they had fixed it and that it was mud in the belts that they cleaned out which I immediately thought what a load (mind you I hadn't cleaned the engine bay since my last outing and it was pretty dirty). Sure enough when I picked it up no more noise. He did say that the belts might be shagged as they don't like mud. Sure enough the noise is back, not as bad but I have a set of replacement belts at home waiting to go on when I'm back home. I'll put them on and see if it's still there..... Btw mine has done 30,000km

Latest posts

Back