Leaf springs

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnkathy81

Reaction score
Just after some opinions on my suspension. Have tough dog leafs in rear 0-300kg less than year old and been great towing tradesman trailer daily etc.. Now setting up draws and going to start carrying tools daily and will be having about 300kg or bit more roughly (probably including drawers) constantly. What's my best way to stop rear sagging or looking out of level? Can I just add a extra leaf, extended shackles arnt meant to be the best I've heard. What is the difference between 0-300kg and 300kg constant Springs is it just the extra leafs or complete different set up?

Are a small 50mm extended shackle wich give an extra 20-30mm lift ok? As there not to big or is that still no good?

Thanks in advance.

Hmm good question my mate had the same issue he had the 300kg constant wasnt enough they saged so he rebent them and added 2 extra leaft with a 2inch greasble shackles been over a yr and still no sag he carries bout 400kg constantly

Are a small 50mm extended shackle wich give an extra 20-30mm lift ok? As there not to big or is that still no good?

Thanks in advance.

IM pretty sure extended shackles are illegal dude.
Example... I have medium duty leafs in back, with arb canopy, trady roof racks and internal support bars, a 50lt fridge and a 30 kg aux battery. My leafs were high when fitted and hard till i added the gear. It dropped down abit sits nice and rides good. From factory measurements it was. 80mm higher in back when i raised it. Now its 60mm now it settled. And with weight.

Maybe medium will be good for you. A new pair of leaf springs are a worth while investment.

Ok ok ok here's my set up.

I have medium duties with extended shackles.
I carry a ARB canopy, rood rack, drawers, 55l water two AGM batteries a fridge + my tools on the back seat.

The front sits higher on 'the correct' spring set up (long story short I asked for heavy duty at the start and they gave me medium all around so I've been upgrading it since)

I've ordered from zordos yesterday, a set of leafs to swap out the mediums and shackles (their solution to it sagging). It was a little over $600 shipped. That's a 300kg constant extra heavy duty spring 6+2 leaf pack.

If your planning on towing off and on , carrying various loads. Then give john a ring, he has an abundance of options in the leafs for your needs.

Spend good money once and you'll be set for a long time.
In my opinion tough dog, iron man, TJM and all the brands like that are. Big time budget driven company with great marketing. When you ask ARB how high their suspension goes over standard height, with their 2" kit I believe they say around 30-35mm of lift....

I've installed johns gear in numerous cars and it's always had well above 2" of lift, it was about 85mm on a hilux once.
It's cost me a lot of money because they installed the wrong gear at the start

Thanks for the advice, didn't really want to put extended shackles and have gone tough dog as I won it on ebay cheap (Brand new) and it's less than year old (foam cell shocks) , therefore was seing if I could just add a leaf or two or is it actually a whole different set up on the constant 300kg ones?

Looks like you are running the comfort pack mate. The constant load has the same amount of springs in the pack, just a stiffer composition. You can add a leaf or two no problems, it will lift it a tad and it won't sag as much with the weight. You will notice a slightly harsher ride though mate.
John

That's pretty much the answer I was looking for, didn't know if it was just extra leafs or like you mentioned above stiffer composition. Might look into some new Springs when I get it all set up just spewing cause mine a barely a year old. Lol

That's pretty much the answer I was looking for, didn't know if it was just extra leafs or like you mentioned above stiffer composition. Might look into some new Springs when I get it all set up just spewing cause mine a barely a year old. Lol

Never know.. if you got them cheap you may be able to get your money back on resale and be able to fund your new gear?
Always someone chasing a cheap deal and would be very happy with the comfort setup

Never know.. if you got them cheap you may be able to get your money back on resale and be able to fund your new gear?
Always someone chasing a cheap deal and would be very happy with the comfort setup
Second that! I've managed to sell all my old gear for a reasonable price! Being so fresh yours get good money too

Where are you located. If your anywhere near the gold coast I have a set of 300kg constant load tough dog springs I took out of my nav. They have done about 60000k. You might be able to add a few of the leaves to your pack. Also have front xhd coils for sale. $50 front ,$50 rear. pm if interested.

Thanks, Yeah might bite the bullet and start getting some cash together for new leaf pack, should hopefully get a little for these ones. No where near GoldCoast mate in Melbourne but thanks anyway.

Ok so spoke to a bloke who is quite experienced in suspension and told him my situation, he has given me the option that if I'm only carrying around the 300-400kg load than he can just reset my Springs and should be no problem. Any opinions on this?

Mate i had the same thing. I had comfort springs from ultimate and i thought it was a bit low and soft when i had all my tool in the draws (tools draws and canopy about 300-350kg so they added a leaf and its works really well.
The extra leaf is about third from the bottom in the second stage of the suspension so it helps when theres a lot of weight, but when the tools aren't in the first stage of the suspension isn't to stiff and it still flex's well off road.
I think if you go constant load it will be to stiff when unloaded and won't flex as well.
I would just add a leaf if i were you and if your still not happy then go constant load.

cheers Gav

Thanks mate, thinking I might do that as I got told that I could also add a leaf and they would reset them also so might be the way to go as I'm I might not always going to have it loaded with tools all the time so when I don't at least the ride will still be ok!

Latest posts

Back