My 03 D22 zd30 td, My first car

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chompy

Reaction score

So last week I drove up to echuca (3 hours from my house) in my recently bought d22 nav, up untill this point i have not had a single problem, heaps of power, starts perfectly, the day after i got the car in my possetion, i changed all the filters (oil, fuel, air) and also drained and renewed the oil in the engine, the car has done just over 280,000 km,

back to the point, we went to echuca to purchase a party boat, flat, wide, and about 5m long, weighing in about 1 tonne with trailer, the only problem was that the axel in the trailer was further back on the trailer than it should have been causing more load on my ute, driving back home to melbourne the car couldnt handle 5th gear whatsoever, mind you it was a fairly windy day, but at this point plenty of power in 4th, anyway we stopped at a fuel station to top her up with diesel, the station was about 80 km from town.

got home all good after sitting on about 3100rpm for 3 hours on the way home, no overheating, no engine warning lights nothing, plenty of power once the boat was off, again in 4th plenty of kick once the turbo spooled around 2100rpm, 5th, not a drama seeing as the boat was off and it would sit comfortably in 5th where-ever i held it with again lots of pool once the turbo spooled.

the next day i started my car and noticed a slight flow of white smoke out the exhaust, but it was minimal, after about 5 minutes on idle, gave it a bit of a rev to about 3000rpm and a very thin cloud of smoke came out and was around the driveway (trying to put into perspective) anyway this was followed by a heavier flow of white smoke for about 30 seconds then it was back to a very thin leak of white smoke,

im really stressed as this is my first car and i have spoken to a few mechanics and done alot of research, ive been told a few things

1. Turbo seal possibly a turbo
2. Cracked piston rings
3. Cracked engine block

does anyone have any information whatsoever? it will be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advace, chompy

White smoke is usually unburnt diesel and most commonly associated with the glow plugs not working, hence unburnt diesel going out the exhaust. Could be an injector stuck open.
Check the radiator for bubbles while the engine is running or loss of coolant. They should rule out cracked pistons or head casket if there O.K.

I always thought black smoke was un burnt diesel ? And always thought white smoke was lack of engine oil lol.

White smoke is water in the fuel.....isn't it? That would make sense. You filled up at a servo on your way home. You wouldn't have noticed the smoke as you were driving.

Check/change your fuel filter.

Yes, white smoke could be water in fuel.

Towing with Navara's = 4th gear, 90km MAX. Same with any car really. Towing in 5th is just not a smart option.

hey guys, had to move the car out of the driveway and drove it to the end of the street and back, i noticed it sounded like it had a miss on one of the cylinders and also a very strong diesel smell when i got back, im thinking head gasket at the moment, i dont think there should be anything wrong with the fuel filter seeing as it isnt even a month old?

Towing with Navara's = 4th gear, 90km MAX. Same with any car really. Towing in 5th is just not a smart option.

Towing in 5th is fine -- just don't make it work too hard before swapping down a gear. Some makes (mid 2000 mazda & ford) had some issues with 5th being piss weak and falling apart when towing, but the Navara gear box is pretty reliable -- but you need to know its limits and drive accordingly.

hey guys, had to move the car out of the driveway and drove it to the end of the street and back, i noticed it sounded like it had a miss on one of the cylinders and also a very strong diesel smell when i got back, im thinking head gasket at the moment, i dont think there should be anything wrong with the fuel filter seeing as it isnt even a month old?

Still thinking injector stuck open, or maybe exhaust valve burnt out. They'd be the reason you can smell diesel.

If its missing, check your spark plugs. Bahaha.

I said check your fuel filter to see if there was any contamination in there. Eg Water.

My d22 has done 250000k (90% with a trailer) Ive used 5th gear all the time except when climbing steep hills, I think older cars were not supposed to tow in 5th, but not a problem for a d22.

Back