New Battery not holding charge

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy54

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem.I have been driving my brand new nissan navara d40 plated 01/11 for 2 weeks now and all of a sudden the truck wouldnt start yesterday am.
No doors or lights had been left open or on ??? Nissan/ nrma service came out and jump started the truck and I then went off to my first job for the day.
Later that day same problem again,the motor wouldnt turn over. Luckily someone was close by and was able to help out and jump start the truck.I then drove it to Cessnock Nissan where they tested the battery and said that the battery had a faulty cell.I noticed that it was made in Thailand and not a fully sealed type just the normal open cap and refill.
Unfortunately they couldnt replace the battery as they said they had none in stock????? I told them that this truck has only done 700kms and had not even gone for the first service, they said I would have to take it back to Maitland where I brought it from to get a replacemet battery.So after they jump started it as it had lost all charge again ,I drove to Maitland and they replaced it with a fully sealed ACDELCO brand battery.Finally on the road at 1530pm to do the 2nd job for the day, having now wasted 1/2 day not a happy chappy.

Anyone got any info on what type of battery is in the new 2010 D40 ST diesel models as I suspect that mabe the original battery may have been swapped over at sometime and this dud one put in its place but not sure.:sad:
Cheers

Battery choice would be whatever the manufacturing plant had ties with at the time and could change on a monthly basis. Unfortunately a dead cell could happen in any battery at anytime and it's really just the luck (or unluck) of the draw as to which one you got. I very much doubt a dealer (or anyone else down the line) cared enough to go to the trouble of replacing a new battery with a dud knowing full well that if it failed so quickly you'd be back on their door step. I think you were just unlucky. I also understand the other dealers choice of not replacing it and sending you back to the dealer you purchased it from, I'd probably be annoyed if it happened to me but from a dealers perspective I can see why they did it.

It could have been a mix-up somewhere and you wore the bad luck, nobody will ever admit to it anyway most likely!

Good to hear that it's fixed though. When you're jump starting, make sure you have really heavy cables on it. The diesels draw over 500A to start, so 400A cables are inadequate. I'd also imagine that small car batteries are undersized too - check the CCA value on the battery and if it's under 600, don't bother.

Thanks for the advise going for first service on Sat.Other than the problem that the keys dont fit or lock the glove box all seems ok. Any other advice or recommendations would be very much appreciated ...Thankyou

Give the truck a really good looking over. Check for defects in paint , interior, oil leaks ,anything at all that can be wrong with it.Anything you do find wrong make sure you put it in writing and have them sign to show they have seen it .
Even crawl underneath and check for any signs of rust on the chassis or suspension. You have to get in as soon as you can with anything you find your not sure about. the older the truck gets the more they will say you damaged it yourself

Oh yeah my 07 D40 has a non sealed battery and its spat acid all over the side of the engine bay.
Still works but the mess took ages to clean

Not good mate.

About time Maitland Nissan did something good.

Check over the car for marks though.

My Nav has battle scars from there workshop.

Whats your impression of the service manager ?

Hey Dave He doesnt give me the greatest of confidence unfortunately.Arrogant as well.We wont be going back there after this 1st service.We will be going back to Peter Mann at Cessnock who has maintained all of our vechiles over the past 12years and cannot complain great service and price.

Back