New clutch help.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
have a look at the size of the gearbox and transfer, and then ask yourself if you think you can get that out and back in on the ground

have a look at the size of the gearbox and transfer, and then ask yourself if you think you can get that out and back in on the ground

exactly
maybee a few years ago
but theres no way i would attemp this job myself unless its on a hoist

People have done it though...? I helped a mate lift the gearbox into a land rover 6x6 about 10 years ago. It was just me and him.....but I might also remember an engine hoist in through the cabin lift it.

Why would it be easier on a hoist? Won't the gearbox still be the same weight? Lol. But yeh, what's the reasons for wanting it up so high? I've got a pair of 5 ton jack stands which can safely keep the Nav up pretty high.

Cheers

I prefer to do it on the ground, trolly jack hold the gb and off ya go, on a hoist you can employ a trans jack and they do make the job easier but when your on the bottom of the feeding pile in a work shop ya do it on the ground

I prefer to do it on the ground, trolly jack hold the gb and off ya go, on a hoist you can employ a trans jack and they do make the job easier but when your on the bottom of the feeding pile in a work shop ya do it on the ground

Yeh cheers. Might be a good excuse for me to buy a new trolly jack, one with a large head on it, with a larger weight capacity and a higher reach.

So once the gearbox and Tcase are out is it pretty simple from there? Any help or points in the right direction would be lovely. Cheers.

It was a hard job, there was only two of us (father and son), and his back is stuffed. We jacked it right up on stands and went from there.

In theory the job is quite simple however its hard to get to the bell housing bolts. so you have to drop the gearbox beam down, so the engine mounts flex so you have access to the top bolts. My torsion bars were seized so it made the job even harder. We used like 4 trolley jacks as well. VERY heavy!

i can go into alot more detail but i'll wait to see what everyone understanding is on the job.

also chule i bought the clutch from brake smart in montague street wollongong, also im now mates with a bloke at reliance brakes in wollongong who can sell them for around 350-400. Otherwise its around 650 from brake smart, complete kit.

Cheers so far Lawry. Keep typing. Haha. I can get access to a workshop with a few truck rated trolley jacks, so the weight might not be a problem. Manoeuvring it would be the biggest problem I suppose. I know my torsion bars are good, I had em in and out at Christmas.

How technical is the job? You think I could handle it? I've done stuff like suspension and body lift and CVs and auto Lokka.

Lol if you can do an auto locker you will have no trouble doing a clutch... the hardest bit is maneuvering the gearbox back into position once you get the new clutch in...

Lol if you can do an auto locker you will have no trouble doing a clutch... the hardest bit is maneuvering the gearbox back into position once you get the new clutch in...

Haha, cheers for the confidence boost.

As stated above, its not so much of a "difficult" job more a Findley job.
If you drop your rear torsion chassis bracket off and slide your torsions out then its just a matter of getting a trolley or gearbox jack under and take the weight of the gear box and remove the gearbox mount bracket.

Keep in mind you have to obviously remove the rear and front drive shafts.
, take the gear stick boot off and remove the gear sticks via a C-clip, don't forget to remove the starter motor and the sensor that lie on top of the gearbox.

note: make sure you jack the gearbox/transfer up front a balance point and chain the hole unit to the jack.

other than there isn't much else. Just bell housing bolts, flywheel bolts, pressure plate bolts etc etc

Latest posts

Back