New Clutch

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ewood11

Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently had a new clutch fitted on my D40 and theres a vibration around 1200 rpm mostly in 4th gear, anyone have any ideas?

It could be a couple of things.

1) Dual mass flywheel removed and replaced with single mass. The whole point of the dual mass flywheel (DMF) is to take out some of the vibration caused by the diesel's power stroke. Going to a SMF gives you the full diesel experience.

2) Harmonic balancer damaged. It's happened before, but will need to be removed to be ccertain - not a small job. It's not the biggest job in the world - it's nothing like changing spark plugs in a Tesla - but be prepared for some argument from the bolts securing it, I've heard they can be a bit ornery.

3) Drive shaft (usually just a uni). It's odd that it is experienced at those RPM in multiple gears, it's usually a specific road speed that it's most noticeable at, but slide underneath and give your drive shafts a wiggle (who cares, Anthony or Greg, either will do). If they're loose (that's probably Jeff) you'll need to check the unis and maybe replace the loose one.

1) Dual mass flywheel removed and replaced with single mass. The whole point of the dual mass flywheel (DMF) is to take out some of the vibration caused by the diesel's power stroke. Going to a SMF gives you the full diesel experience.

2) Harmonic balancer damaged. It's happened before, but will need to be removed to be ccertain - not a small job. It's not the biggest job in the world - it's nothing like changing spark plugs in a Tesla - but be prepared for some argument from the bolts securing it, I've heard they can be a bit ornery.

3) Drive shaft (usually just a uni). It's odd that it is experienced at those RPM in multiple gears, it's usually a specific road speed that it's most noticeable at, but slide underneath and give your drive shafts a wiggle (who cares, Anthony or Greg, either will do). If they're loose (that's probably Jeff) you'll need to check the unis and maybe replace the loose one.
O

Once again thanks for your insight into this one Old Tony. I should add that if I put my foot on the gas just a little bit it passes and everything is smooth afterwards until I go back down the gears.

Once again thanks for your insight into this one Old Tony. I should add that if I put my foot on the gas just a little bit it passes and everything is smooth afterwards until I go back down the gears.

Accelerating will cause a shift in the tension in the drivetrain, so I'd guess the harmonic balancer is not the culprit here. More likely the flywheel or unis.

If it's the flywheel, it's something that I personally wouldn't change - I'd rather have the SMF than have the DMF which gets hot and burns clutches if you're doing slow, heavy movement (eg boat ramps).

O

Accelerating will cause a shift in the tension in the drivetrain, so I'd guess the harmonic balancer is not the culprit here. More likely the flywheel or unis.

If it's the flywheel, it's something that I personally wouldn't change - I'd rather have the SMF than have the DMF which gets hot and burns clutches if you're doing slow, heavy movement (eg boat ramps).
I’ll get underneath it at the weekend and give the drive shafts a good shake. It may be the flywheel. I just presumed it was a dual mass but it could have been swapped out for a single mass.

Latest posts

Back