New guy from South West WA

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ash81192

Reaction score
Hi there,

Newbie from South West WA. Just purchased a 2009 Auto D40 Navara King Cab and apart from the fuel economy have been very impressed with the vehicle so far. Planning on setting her up to be a good weekender camping rig. Joining the forum to see what others do with their D40's and how they overcome (if possible) the terrible fuel economy issue.

Currently the only mods to the engine have been fitting an EGR blank plate but I have a catch can on its way.

Welcome to the forum!

My fuel economy sits between 10LPHK (gentle highway, 95km/h peak) to 13LPHK (110km/h on freeway plus city driving) to 18LPHK (towing 2.5T).

What kind of figures are you getting? How many km on the trip meter for how many litres at the bowser?

I missed the King Cab bit. The rumour is that there's a software update that Nissan can do to your ECU to bring its fuel consumption into line with the dual cabs (which are similar weight/power). I don't know the TSB number for the update, so I can't give you any ammunition to take to a Nissan dealer to get it fixed - and it would appear that many Nissan dealers are unaware of the fix.

I might have to do a bit of research because that defiantly sounds like the way to go. I wonder why the king cabs are so much worse than the dual cabs. I dare say they weigh just as much as one and other. Mine does have a steel tray and bullbar. I've heard the bullbars make a massive difference in economy

It's not that big a difference. My car is 2600Kg empty and when we're set for a long haul (Engel, 5x 20L jerry cans, generator, 10L unleaded, spares, tools plus caravan) we're within 20Kg of the 2980Kg limit - plus towing the 2550Kg caravan and we're still doing 18s.

The difference is in where the ECU came from. Thai builds (KC is a Thai car, check the VIN - it should start with "MNT") seemed to suffer it but only in the KC range, the dual cab RX cars seem (because of the lack of reports) to be okay.

Every little bit of weight does make a difference, but not that much. If you drive it very gently I've heard that you can get it down near 14LPHK (max 2500rpm on takeoff, no more than 2000rpm at cruise).

If you DO manage to find the TSB for this fix, we'll make it a sticky in the D40 section for sure!

Latest posts

Back