No boost i dont think its bcv

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davewatto

Reaction score
Hi all
I have a no boost issue it
starts and runs fine no fault codes has new bcv ,maf ,vac lines
when I bypass the bcv the actuator pulls to the top still no boost
Slow to rev gets up to 3500 when in park but in drive 1500 rpm about 40kmh and takes a while to get there
I feel the only thing now is the turbo
But I don't know how to test
Spins free with no play is there any thing that can else it could be
Thanks in advance I'm at a loss

Find a way of measuring boost. ECU has the data, you can use either a workshop analysis tool or a bluetooth OBD adapter with a phone app to read it. Boost is better measured when the car is driven.

Is there any smoke when you put your foot down (while driving) ? If the turbo was busted you should see a fair amount of black smoke.

Have you checked over the engine bay looking for oily deposits or seeping from hoses or things like the intercooler? You might be generating boost and it might be leaking back out. Also, consider washing the inside of the intercooler (unleaded petrol works really well here).

If the turbo spins freely and the shaft doesn't seem to have any wobble in it, it's possible that the linkage below the actuator arm has become dislodged (goodness knows how, but metal parts can break). An inspection camera might be handy here. The suction you can create with your mouth should be enough to move the actuator to see if the lower part of the actuator mechanism is being moved.

Cool thanks its a good place to start no smoke
I also can't hear it spin up

Is it the bara pressure 🤔 I'm looking for I have seen that
I'll be hitting it again on the weekend
Could the ecu put it into a limp mode or something and if so when I bypass the bcv (vacuum straight to waste gate diaphragm)it should over boost near straight away if my thinking is correct
Anyhow I will check the ecm and intercooler and get back
Thanks again

Ok i pluged in
Fuel rail pressure. 28000-30500 kpa
Air flow rate from maf
14-17 g/s idle
64 g/s 3000rpm

Intake manifold absolute pressure 98-104kpa at idle
107-113kpa at 3000rpm
Hope this tells you something to me not sure what the values should be

Also just bypassed bcv and heard it spool up got to 180kpa around 200 rpm
Thanks

I just had the same trouble pretty much after a small hard plastic bit of vac connector fell into the front entry of my turbo.
Drove alot like you are.
No boost. Hard accel my guage showed it go up to 3-4psi.

A few drives like this it slowly got better, but not much. I could get up to about 5-8psi & after slugging along near or actually redlining 4-5000 then in 4th getting about 2-3psi.

The actuator arm had stopped bobbing up and down at idle.

I had full spools & overboosting when vac to actuator testing & using my boost gauge did a few 10-ish km drives feathering accel not letting it overboost over 25-max30.

Them i would drive 10-ish km home hooked up normally.

I ran 2 x 500 bottles of Nulon Turbo cleaner to 40l of fuel a full bottle.

It was blowing alot of smoke, gradually slightly improving boost back up to about 8-10, even 12 in second gear... Then after a freeway run when actually getting up hills at 90-100-110 again but using alot more engine (and ALOT more fuel due the turbo issue and higher revving, smoke blasting out greyish with the cleaner or even quite black unburned fuel) i got up to about 15+ psi at best on a 100km motorway to home run.

Everyone here etc said if i have mad boost plugged straight vac to actuator (& the actuator arm was going straight up when fitting it that way) its gotta likely be a dead solenoid. Bcs.

My new one arrived & i was fixed straight away in 5mins!
21psi, turboing lovely.
Utes fast!

I can say that i once bought a bcs a year ago when i first got the vehicle to try out whej was running bit rough n smokey etc etc & that BCS Seemed to be dead on arrival.

In hindsight maybe the electric connector wasnt oushed in quite hard enough where it snaps in with a good click & then u should push it some more and make sure its tight.

Possibly your new bcs is dead on arrival or it just isnt clicked in right or tight enough at the connector.

Mines an 07 Spanish & the $25 BCS i just bought off ebay worked perfect on fitting & i believe might suit every model of D40 2.5 motor, there's at least 3 part numbers covered in the eBay listing.

Old Tony here said that my cheap BCS should be as good as any.

Try check your bcs as i described,
Or buy another and try that.

When u said now u have good boost on the direct vac to waste connection, that in theory might be saying what another just said, the actuator arm might be undone..
Or it could have been sticky.

The turbo cleaner fuel treatment helps with that & the exhaust side of the turbo to clean carbon and stickyness away & might help the turbo back area spin better also i guess. Worth a go. Only $20-30 a can. Run full can to 40 litres diesel for best clean effect.

I think if you do that plus now you are seeing boost now on yr direct connecting, checking the electronic connectors to yr bcs are good,
Or another bcs in case u got a DOA one might solve it

Thank a few more things to try
bcv or bcs same same is new and working correctly on a mates nav tried last night so do the other 2 I've got here
But I checked the signal in his bcs the power fluctuates a little at idle
Mine is solid at 10v which seams high I'm thinking I have a short or another dodgy ecm at this point
Feeling frustrated had ecm changed 10 weeks ago
But the loom is a bit tatty I might try and find one that hasn't been cut

If your boost control solenoid is working alright in a mate's car and your turbo is capable of full boost, then you're looking at the right spot, I'd say - that loom has an issue.

The BCS oscillates at 100Hz and opens and closes the vacuum each time (so you'd need an oscilloscope to see if it's working properly, a multimeter won't react fast enough and neither will your eyes).

Yes I found that the multimeter couldn't fix on a number but on mine peak straight away
In the hunt for loom hard to find one not cut at the wreckers
Thanks tony

Latest posts

Back