OBD info.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 50217

Reaction score
What info can I get from the OBD port?
I have a 1999 D22 Navara.
I'm struggling to find a instrument cluster for my car. So until I get a hold of a new cluster, I'm hoping I can get most of the clusterinfo out of the OBD port and display it on a tablet.
received_1387341661742059.jpeg

Last edited:
Unless Norway got D22s with OBD2 interfaces (Australia didn't get those until about 2008) you're probably limited to a Nissan Consult or compatible device. There is data available but they didn't go to OBD-II standards in the D22 until about 2008 onwards.

Have a look under the dash on the driver's side. If there's a grey 14-pin connector it's Consult-only. If it's a black 16-pin connector it's possibly OBD2.

For OBD2 you can use any bluetooth ELM327 adapter (but might not be perfect with modern software, you still might need special software to read the data.

For a Consult port you might try one of these (no guarantees it will work, see below):

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3941237...0LiP6QYAP8ZNt6o1qL0o8qBvBr|tkp:Bk9SR4CAyPO7YA
You might consider taking it to a mechanic and getting them to hook up their diagnostic tool (expensive things, but fit a wide variety of vehicles) and tell you what kind of communication selections they had to make to get the data.

Thanks for the good tip.

I found the dataport. But,
I think it's just OBD 1. Had to buy a OBD 2 to OBD1 harness for my scantool.

Thanks for the good tip.

I found the dataport. But,
I think it's just OBD 1. Had to buy a OBD 2 to OBD1 harness for my scantool.
No.
It was not a OBD port.
I have been searching the www and found several pictures of the OBD port in a d22 1999 navara. But there is no port as I can see? Mine is imported from Germany 🤔

I've done a little search and it appears that the 1999 D22 did have an OBD2 port, located under the steering wheel above the accelerator pedal. From what I can see it's a white port and should stand out rather well.

There's no guarantee that it talks the OBD2 protocols, though. I tried an OBD2 protocol analyser on a 2006 D22 and didn't have any luck.

Absolutely a 1999 D22 for the European market is not OBD2.
Even if it were, it would be of little use as most things are mechanical with the exception of the fuel guage, temp guage and oil pressure light.

first thing i would check is if the engine has an emission system. in the pre-electronic fuel injection the ecu only ran the egr system.
if it does have an ecu it will be nissan consult and most likely won't put out the data your after. however this is with the diesels. no idea with petrol's.

i see your left hand drive so i have no idea if a RHD cluster would fit.

Absolutely a 1999 D22 for the European market is not OBD2.
Even if it were, it would be of little use as most things are mechanical with the exception of the fuel guage, temp guage and oil pressure light.
Yes. There are no OBD2 port, but it should be a OBD (1) port.
All the instruments like speedometer, fuel, oil temp and the tachometer are digital. I think a RHD cluster would fit.

Latest posts

Back