plasti-dip

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bennyb

Reaction score
ive recently sprayed my sports bar with black plasti dip and thought i'd share it with anyone who's looking at spraying something with plasti dip.

i have 2012 D40 and to remove the sports bar i took off the tie down rails just to make it easier for myself to get to the nuts and bolts holding down the sports bar

i then removed the two plastic clamp things that are holding the 3 parts of the bar together and then just gave them a quick clean with a rag and water and let them to dry

for the first coat of plasti dip i sprayed it with about 50% coverage and let it to dry for half an hour

second coat i sprayed i covered it up 100% of the bar and then the 3rd and 4th coat

i bought two cans and just got 2 coats out of each can leaving half an hour to dry between coats. also make sure you shake the can for 1 -2 minutes before you use it and a quick shake every now and then whist using it
i bout the cans from autobahn and is the only place i know that sells it close to me. local bunnings and super cheap auto didnt have any.

im also thinking about buying 1 more can just to give it and extra coat or two just to make it that little bit thicker

cheers

1st coat
14147_10201899818844997_435792428_n.jpg

finished product/ last coats
1126_10201899818804996_947561107_n.jpg
1186099_10201899821405061_311987277_n.jpg
1231624_10201899821445062_1139962702_n.jpg

I have been interested in this for awhile , i have a spare set of alloy wheels , and i wonder how durable it is , certainly a lot cheaper than powder coating , and removable if you don't want / like it

I have been interested in this for awhile , i have a spare set of alloy wheels , and i wonder how durable it is , certainly a lot cheaper than powder coating , and removable if you don't want / like it

ive had the plasti dipped bar on for about a bit over a month i would say and so far its showing no signs of peeling off or anything like that.
there is a shit load of videos on youtube about it, a lot of them on there are people doing there wheels so i think it would be fine.
one of my mates sprayed his wheels and it bubbled up after it dried for some reason but i dont think he would have applied it properly to be honest. the first coat being only 50% coverage is really important.

My cousin did the rims on his car and they have been pretty good so far and my brother plasti dipped the tank on his harley which looked good. However, one drop of fuel splashed out and ate through it.
Once you have sprayed it you can't touch it up with the same can, apparently there is a different product for touch ups.
I like the look of it and when you get sick of it you can just peal it off.
I'm thinking about doing my roll bar, grill and door mirrors just to change the look.
You can also find it on ebay, but ebay USA won't ship it.

if it lasts a while its a frickin cheap option - hope it holds well!

had it for a fair while now and it has no chips or scratches or anything that i can fine. been out in the heavy rain a fair few timex and even some light hail and so far looks as good as when i first sprayed it. i recommend it!

the stuff is good! Remember though, even though surface prep is minimal it is still good practice to clean thoroughly with prepsol (wax and grease remover). No point spraying onto a poorly prepared surface and risk peeling. Mine has come up a treat and is tough as nails!

Back