Portable battery boxes and batteries

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyNav09

Reaction score
Hi peeps

Finally have a reason to purchase a portable battery setup. Who has what and how is it coping?

I have been looking at the various cheaper battery box setups like projector and abr sodewinder etc also had a look at both ark powerpacks. Ill most likely be charging it inline with my ctek d250s and als charging using solar panels and my ctek mxs25 240v charger.

Now for batteries. I have a SSB Agm Deep cycle 100ah unit in my car setup at the moment. I have to purchase another battery for this portable setup anyway so was thinking of just buying a powersonic or thumper redback or one of the cheaper rebadged items. The ssb has been fautless so was looking at those again. Was also considering (pending budget and what box i choose) the Optima D31A Yellow Top. This would replace the battery in my car setup and the ssb would become the portable battery. The optima is ony rated at 75ah instead of the 100ah i have already.

Any hints, help, to dos, not to dos would be great?

Rusty

The D31A could easily replace your cranker (and crank V8 petrol engine while it was cranking your diesel over - 990CCA!). You might add that to your equation.

With that said, amps are everything when you're "out there". You could consider a FullRiver HC (cranking) AGM battery like the HC120 - 120Ah, 1150CCA (don't ever short out the terminals of this one!). FullRiver also have a DC260-12 battery which is 260Ah deep-cycle only, but the sucker weighs 77Kg - it's best moved on a trolley.

Gel batteries generally aren't my first choice but they do have some very large capacities for reasonable prices. Both your chargers will look after a gel battery well, so it's not something to rule out.

What NOT to do? Just one, because I assume you're putting a fuse just off the battery - do NOT use light-weight cable to the rear. But you KNEW I'd say that didn't you?

Oh sorry forgot to mention i already have dual cranking batteries up front with a ctek d250s dual charging the ssb 100ah in the tub. The optima will be used as a load battery only ie fridges lights etc. I think ill just buy another ssb battery and swap the new one into the tub and the old one into the box

I used my "ARK" pack with a 130ah agm in it at the muster out of the back of the FALCOOOON, it ran the 60lt engel fridge and the LED light bar from when i left home on the wednesday to the time i got home on the monday, i did plug the fridge into the car on the way home for a little while just to make sure i made it , and for a few hrs on the sunday but it ran the falcooons battery flat in about three hrs.
Other then that it ran the fridge and light for 5 days and didnt go flat.

If i was to but one now i would go with the new version as it has a better built in charger (higher amp) and also has two 12v plug outlets and a built in inverter and you can charge the battery from solar panel or plugged into a 12v socket in your car or from the built in anderson plug.

My old unit is ok but i had to retro fit the anderson plug and also have to run a better charger for the first 12hrs before i plug into its own charger to condition the battery.

image-4222167396.jpg This is the newer style ark battery box you guys talk of ,and it is great as portable power in the tub also can be removed easier for other applications!!!

'I LIKE TO CUSTOMISE,'WHAT MORE CAN I SAY'

Last edited:
Decided on the projecta bpe330 which im gonna add a few more cig light sockts and a 50amp anderson to out of my spares and will be adding a Kickass 120ah agm to the csr system to replace the ssb 100ah agm which will go in the projecta box. Kickass have been rated well and are only $249 at the moment which is cheaper then what i paid for my ssb. I would of gone another ssb but budget is cut short cause of house purchasing soon

Rusty

those new ark powerpacks are now sold at bunnings. autobarn have them cheaper at the moment on sale for $399 so minus 10% and you can get one for $360

Kickass Battery ordered lastnight at $249 for 120ah agm deep cycle and my brother is picking up a Projecta Battery Box which we are gonna modify with a couple more cig plugs and an Anderson for solar charging. Oh btw projecta battery boxes on special for $59 at Auto One Browns Plains. Don't know about other stores

if anyone is chasing a Ark pack and is local to Campbelltown NSW, let me know I'm the manager at autobahn campbelltown and would be happy to help out with a price if i could!

gonna get one for myself too

if anyone is chasing a Ark pack and is local to Campbelltown NSW, let me know I'm the manager at autobahn campbelltown and would be happy to help out with a price if i could!

gonna get one for myself too

Gday mate, how long have you lived in camden? i went to camden high (the old toxic one lol) back in the day.

all my life, went to elderslie high, finished in '06

Ok might see you around or catch you in the shop.

Your making me feel old with that "06" talk i finished yr11 in "90"!! no wonder my hair decided to catch the bus :rofl2:

Why are people installing cigarette sockets?
Existing gear?
The problem with cig sockets is that centre pin is spring loaded and in mobile use they can pop the plug. Best case is right out, worse case is a shorting gap that heats up and melts socket.

Considered merit plugs? they latch in.

FWIW, I just buy deep discharge wet cells and stick them in a bettery box. Currently I load them up with anderson plugs on tails. Then I plug in another home built control box.

I'm not fussed on anderson plugs for light cable, but there isn't anything else as useful and much of the alternatives are not standardised.

Latest posts

Back