QD32 Gearbox Grinds 2nd & 3rd

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anderss

Reaction score
Hey guys,
One of my mates has just purchased a 1999 D22 Navara with a QD32 in it for $2,000 (that was a steal in my opinion), but anyway, when we went to inspect the car we were told by the owner that it needed a new clutch because "sometimes the clutch worked and sometimes it didn't". We test drove it and found that 2nd and 3rd ground if it wasn't put into gear gently. Mate said a new clutch didn't worry him because he is making good money at the moment and wants experience working on a 4WD. So my question is, what can be making these gears grind and none of the others? Is it syncros, something to do with the selector, floaty rail or what? Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Cheers, Anders

PS. Previous owner replaced slave cylinder

Sounds like synchros to me. You could try chucking some of that nulon or similar additive in there with some new oil to see if it helps. If not it will be a rebuild or drop another box in it. If you're dropping the box for that, it probably wouldn't hurt to change the clutch and rear main seal at the same time. There'd be nothing worse than going through all that and then needing to replace the clutch after putting it all back together....

Sounds like synchros to me. You could try chucking some of that nulon or similar additive in there with some new oil to see if it helps. If not it will be a rebuild or drop another box in it. If you're dropping the box for that, it probably wouldn't hurt to change the clutch and rear main seal at the same time. There'd be nothing worse than going through all that and then needing to replace the clutch after putting it all back together....

I got put onto that additive stuff today by the blokes in AutoPro today so hopefully it comes good for him! If the gearbox annoys him too much I dare say he'll get another meaning a new clutch and rear seal is a definite! Oh how ironic that would be haha! Cheers mate

Haha good luck with it. Let us know how he goes anyway lol
He ended up picking a whole gearbox and transfer case for $250! And chucked in a new HD clutch as well so she's smooth as now!

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

Nice work, I guess that's one way to fix it lol

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back