Rear Step woes. (2009+)

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeoCal

Reaction score
I have been doing a bit of lurking and searching on this forum recently regarding the rear step on the D22 Navara.
Here’s my story:

Picked up the Brand new 2012 D22 Navara from the dealer in Melboune in March, stuff up, after stuff up I finally had all the accessories on the vehicle. One of these was a Tow Bar.
After 2 months or so after leaving on our holiday it was noticed that the tailgate is rubbing on the rear step. This in turn has rubbed off the clear coat and in one place has made it to the metal. The part that is coming into contact with the tailgate is the very edge of the black plastic on the rear step (The bit you stand on). The weird thing is the tailgate itself isn’t level at all. I can understand a small dip to the rear, but if you sit on it, you will slowly slide forwards!

I let the dealer know as soon as possible with photos and documentation but as I was in central NSW heading to Queensland there was nothing we could do.
After a service in Mackay where I had them address the issue, they simply told me to go back to the original dealer. I contacted them again, and alas never heard anything from them.
Now we are at the 20,000 km service I have been much sterner with them about rectifying the issue. They say that due to the receiving dealer OK’ing the car with the pre delivery checklist, that it is not a fault of NISSAN. No problems understand that. It is apparently up to the dealer to spot issues like this. So therefore the receiving dealer is responsible for the cost / repair of the fault.
To complicate matters further however, the car has had a bit of a bump in the driver side rear fender. Whilst out 4WD’ing we dropped into a creek and the rear step came up, made contact with the fender and dinted about the size of a 50c piece, taking some paint with it. Now this is no problems at all, we buy these vehicles for a reason, and I will own up for that one.
Of course the dealer was quick to say this was the issue, but after informing him that it was previous damage did he start to cooperate.

I am now obviously looking at alternatives to this rear bar. They are made of very light gauge steel that doesn't take much to bend. Everything ive seen and heard so far has told me that they are not made for the 2012 model yet as they have a longer tub.
Some of the third party bars look cumbersome, and in some cases crap. Some of them like the TJM bar (which I like) have the tow bar repositioned. I can see a potential danger here of dropping the gate on the hitch and dinting it worse! I can also assume that you remove the need for a tow bar by fitting one of these. Also, are you legally allowed to put your own built bar on there? Or is that an insurance issue?
I’m looking for a solution that will give some sort of stronger protection to the rear of the car, and be a bit lower so that it will not make contact with the tailgate.

What have you got, seen, or recommend?

Try Scottybobcat's bars mate, they are stronger and better then anything ARB, TJM or opposite lock will ever make. se his thread on this forum

The genuine bar is a waste of metal. I have hints in both sides of the tub from it and also my tailgate rubs like yours on the black plastic. I am waiting for TJM to release there protection towbar for the 09+ models and I will be down to my local store ordering one. If they were already released I would of had one. I don't think you would be able to drop the tailgate on a towball with the tjm bar.

Rusty

TJM make plates that let you take the step off for the time being, looks a bit bare but its better then putting up with that crappy step.

until you get a new bar, stand up on your rear step and jump on it.

they move upwards when they cop a hit, it should drop back down when you jump on it, that might allow you to drop the tailgate without it rubbing.

the rear step bar is'nt that bad, it suits perfectly for anyone who doesn't do much offroad.
but if you do a bit of offroading, they're pretty useless especially if you don't have much lift.

since fitting 2in lift + 2in bodylift i haven't bottomed out with it yet.

My 2012 D22 came with the same prob
The bracket that holes the rear door in place is adjustable.

I have one of scottybobcats rear bar/towbar on my 2010
You won't find a stronger or better bar
It also gives great protection to the rear tub 1/4 panels
And is great to stand on to access roofrack/cage
Highly reccomend Scott for ANY barwork

Cheers guys,

Read through the thread with Scotty's work. Some serious barwork happening in there!
I might PM him regarding what i'm after, i'm thinking a little less.... big.
Something that is a bit smaller.

I can see a small issue with modifying the tow bar as a whole. A suit somewhere would deem an insurance claim void if the bar was not engineered correctly.
So frustrating considering that the bars are over engineered to the max.

Still investigating at this point.....

EDIT* I jumped on that rear step as hard as i could (in frustration) when i first noticed it!!! It seems to help quite a lot.
Also adjusted the tailgate supporting arms as they were slack on one side.

Cheers guys,

Read through the thread with Scotty's work. Some serious barwork happening in there!

I can see a small issue with modifying the tow bar as a whole. A suit somewhere would deem an insurance claim void if the bar was not engineered correctly.
So frustrating considering that the bars are over engineered to the max.
unless the towbar was a contributing factor in an incident you wont have any insurance problems
i will happily pay an engineer to assess my towbar if any insurance issues arise
but i dont intend on doing much towing
talk to scott
he can manufacture a differant rear bar without tow hitch so you can keep the factory hitch

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back