Recovery Gear Ratings

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absolutely Geoff, hence the (hopefully lightly comical but entirely serious) following comments on what NOT to do, standing between the vehicles being one of them!

When I was learning about vehicle recovery they told us that the only people involved should be those actually in control of the vehicles, and all other people (passengers, and from other vehicles) should maintain a healthy distance and should not be in direct line of the recovery in case something breaks and becomes a missile.

I like the idea of elimination myself, to be perfectly honest. I have better things to spend money on than repairs to a vehicle caused by my own sense of bravado.

When using your winch to pull your 4WD out of the mud, you only pull the max load at the very start, when you break the sucktion the it drops to half the wieght of the vehicle. Sand is just half the wieght of the vehicle.

Hope this helps.

Helps a lot in the understanding.

Any idea on how effective shovel work is in reducing the forces?

The more of the soile, mud, sand you can move away the better. If the vehicle is on its belly, then try to stick logs or anything eals you can find to help it roll rather that drag.

When using a winch, the recomended distence from the wire rope when under load is 1 and a half times the distance of the rope payed out.

I carry a shovel with my recovery gear all the time. The first thing i do when a mate calls me to pull him out is hand him the shovel and tell him to start digging lol.

Latest posts

Back