Removing tail-light lense

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseJ

Reaction score
Hi all, long time lurker, first post. Hope this is in the right section.
I have a 2013 d22, it cops most of its punishment as a workhorse for my landscaping, although after a few weeks on here, I'm keen to go for a bit of a bash.

Has anyone successfully removed the lenses from the tail lights?
I recently removed my tail lights to polish out some scratches ,wet dry sandpaper 400-800-2000 then cut and polish.
Came up a treat, scratches are gone, and the lights shine like new.
Only problem is, some of the Polish worked its way into the gap around the edge of the light. It didn't bother me until I tried to clean it, not only is it too deep in the gap for me to get too, which I was prepared to just deal with. But it worked its way under the edges of the lense. I can see it from the outside and it's driving me crazy.
I was under the impression that the lights were water tight.
Any way, I decided to try and remove the lense to give the whole unit a good clean.
I can see two screws, and several clips around the edge of the lense, it seemed it would be a easy job. The screws came out no worries, but I can't get the clips to budge, in fact, I damaged the plastic on the light frame trying to pry the clip open
Has anyone done this before, have you got any tips for me?
Thanks guys
Jesse

I've tried to pull mine apart too but I'm pretty sure they have sealant similar to the headlights holding the lense on... I have a spare set I an going to pull apart and fit internal leds into, but that's the conclusion I've come to so far...

I have heard that you put them in the oven to warm up the gasket that holds the lense on.
Never tried it but a lot of people do this to their headlights too.

Thanks guys.
I assumed there was some sort of seal/gasket, until I saw the polish get under the light.
The two screws seemed to have a small amount of paste on them. But other than that, I can see no signs of a seal.
I'll have another little play before I put them back on.
I'd really like to get them off, but not willing to risk breaking the lense. I guess I'll just deal with it.
Thanks again

There is no gasket or seal, it is attached with a plastic moulding compound. I think it would be a bastard of a job to seperate and would damage it too.

Back