Seat out, shelf in = Storage+

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishless

Reaction score
After a camping trip away a couple of weekends ago I decided I wanted some more storage and easier access to all the camping gear when packed away in the D22.

Decided to forgo the rear seat inc. backrest in place of a shelf, with built in tie down points for the fridge. The shelf bolts on to the seat frame at 4 points, making it nice and solid when installed. 2 of these points are the original bolts that hold the bottom part of the seat in place. Anyway pics speak a thousand words so I'll post some pics. Easy enough to do, and has increased storage space significantly. Obviously not so good if you have more than two people in the car though. Paint or carpet to come down the track. Heading to Fraser in a couple of weeks so looking forward to testing it out.

Attachments

• Shelf1.jpg
    Shelf1.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 364
  • shelf5.jpg
    shelf5.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 328
  • shelf4.jpg
    shelf4.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 322
  • shelf3.jpg
    shelf3.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 300
  • shelf2.jpg
    shelf2.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 288
Job done. Nice install mate.. cost you much?
I hate it but i always have my two back seats folded up and s*hit everywhere in the back - might as well do something similar - just might

What would the technical implications be doing this if you were in a stack? Insurance wise i mean? Guess should still be road worthy as long as no one is in the back without the seat?

Same as every patrol/cruiser you see with back seats removed and a drawer system in place.

What would the technical implications be doing this if you were in a stack? Insurance wise i mean? Guess should still be road worthy as long as no one is in the back without the seat?

I couldn't see there being any problems. Nothing structural has been removed in order to fit the shelf, just two cushions. Certainly wouldn't have any one in the back with out either the part of the seat in place, not that any one would want to be in the back when it's like that, would be pretty uncomfortable.

Believe it or not a cop (therefor possibly an insurance company) could argue it is unroadworthy. As the number of seats does not match the number on the plate. Technically you are supposed to have it inspected and a blue mod plate added for the current number of seats, this appears to apply in most states. The only point of conjecture is whether it is a temporary or permanent removal, if the seats have just been removed to carry extra gear or go camping for the weekend then it's usually fine, however a cop (or insurer) could argue that the new bench is bolted in making it a permanent modification and should be plated. Food for thought.

Believe it or not a cop (therefor possibly an insurance company) could argue it is unroadworthy. As the number of seats does not match the number on the plate. Technically you are supposed to have it inspected and a blue mod plate added for the current number of seats, this appears to apply in most states. The only point of conjecture is whether it is a temporary or permanent removal, if the seats have just been removed to carry extra gear or go camping for the weekend then it's usually fine, however a cop (or insurer) could argue that the new bench is bolted in making it a permanent modification and should be plated. Food for thought.
I pulled my seat out when I did my trip east for fridge and other gear had an rbt in ceduna he asked if it was tied down it wasn't and he recommended I do so. He had no concern for seating number as I had left the seatbelts. Having it bolted like the above I'm sure will be fine as you have secured the load.

Done a similar mod to a commodore ute years ago, Changed the bench seat to 2 bucket seats, Compliance plate stated 3 seat capacity but obviously could only hold 2 legally. When I got it engineered for other things I asked about the seating not matching the plate and was told the only reason to require any form of engineering was when looking to increase capacity. This was in NSW.

If it was regarded as a permanent modification because it bolted in I'd argue that child restraints are also bolted in or atleast the anchor point and would be classed as a modification voiding insurance ect. I'm sure that's not the case.

Overall I cant see a problem with it since your able to fold the seats up to begin with.

Nice mod, wish I could do the same.

As long as you do not remove the original anchor points and can put the original seats back in then it is not considered a modification. The car is still considered a 4-5 seat vehicle. As soon as you modify the original anchors or add additional structure must be certified. That is what I read for Qld. I am planning on doing mine after I finish my tub fit out.

Latest posts

Back