(SEQ) Moore-Linville-Kilkivan (Chimney) Day-trip.... 500kms in Total

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robmacca

Reaction score
Thought it was time to take my D22 Ute for it's 1st exploring trip + it was definitely time for another Midweek Explore Trip as it had been a while, so I decided to retrace some previous tracks to see if they were still open + find some new tracks..... So along with Dave who just happened to have some time off as well, it was off to head towards Kilcoy and onwards to Moore, turning north towards Linville. From here it was a nice drive criss-crossing the Brisbane River over and over again. It was surprising to still see them still repairing some of the crossings from the big floods 3yrs ago.... Some great spots as well to stop and wet the feet or the fishing line too. We cont'd along West Branch Ck Rd heading in a northerly direction, then onto Manabar Rd, then turning eastwards crossing the Kilcoy-Murgon intersection (T/R here to go to LCMP). We went straight ahead following a previous tracklog of this area that I had done some years earlier, but it was unfamiliar to me at this point as the 1st time I had travelled this route from from the opposite direction....

Came to the end of the designated road and then had to rely on the tracklog, driving through cow paddocks following 2 wheel tracks in the ground.... As time went on my memory was slowly returning as I started remembering some of the scenery starting with what looked like and abandon House & Gate. after a bit of a chat with my copilot, it was decided that we would go through the gate and pass the herd of cows following what was suppose to be the track.... As time went on the track become more defined and we past through a couple of abandoned mining sites. We pushed on eventually coming out onto Black Snake Road. Turning left we cont'd along the track, passing the T/O to "Bridle 4WD Track", then push
onwards hoping to find a little side track that we believed would be a shortcut to the Mt Mia lookout where we were hoping to have lunch.... Found the turnoff, but after driving down it a little bit it became obvious that it was more a Suzuki Track, so the decision was made to turn around and go the long way round.

Reached the lookout to have lunch and a good look around at the fantastic scenery.... from here it was onto our next destination.... The old Mt Clara Smelter Chimney. I had been told that access to this was blocked from the direction we were coming but so far so good.... The Road slowly descended and we managed to reach Rossmore Rd, turning left and following the road for a few 100mtrs to the Chimney. Had the usual look around and photos then we pushed onwards up the road to a valley that I remember was full of the Black Boy Trees..... was a bit disappointed when we got there as it wasn't quite what I remembered so, we turned around and headed out along Rossmore Rd, stopping into Rossmore (Kilkivan) caravan park for a look (not that impressed) and then out onto the Highway and back home via Gympie....

Distance covered for the Day: 496kms
Driving Time: 8hrs
Avg Driving Time:62kms/hr

Photos located here: Moore-Linville-Kilkivan (Chimney) Day-trip Photos

Tracklog located here:Moore-Linville-Kilkivan (Chimney) Day-trip Triplog

Here's some pics of the days adventure:

Brisbane River Xings
Moore-Linville-KilkivanChimney001_zpsa31dc74a.jpg

Moore-Linville-KilkivanChimney002_zpsf7640a80.jpg

Moore-Linville-KilkivanChimney006_zps45e651da.jpg

The 4WD Track we had done on a previous explore Run....
Moore-Linville-KilkivanChimney008_zpsba0a6bd8.jpg

Moore-Linville-KilkivanChimney054_zps96a00583.jpg

Moore-Linville-KilkivanChimney063_zps1f628d6e.jpg

For a bit of humour.... Here's one for those "Non Nissan" Fans out there.....
Moore-Linville-KilkivanChimney062_zpsfa15085c.jpg

Some funny lookin animals that u don't usually see here in the SEQ
Moore-Linville-KilkivanChimney073_zpsd9c27d36.jpg

Awesome write up and really nice photos too. Looks like a very scenic trip. Might have to explore the area myself one day!

The chimney looks in pretty good nic'. Nice photos Rob. That sixth pic had me stumped for a while. I was thinking, "what's he got on his roof? Looks like some type of satellite dish" until I realised it was survey marker (I guess it is).

That camel looks like it has a rope attached. Did it?

Great pics mate
whats rims and size tyres are you using here, they look like hylux ones?

The chimney looks in pretty good nic'. Nice photos Rob. That sixth pic had me stumped for a while. I was thinking, "what's he got on his roof? Looks like some type of satellite dish" until I realised it was survey marker (I guess it is).

That camel looks like it has a rope attached. Did it?

Yeah it was a survey marker.... & Yes the camel did have rope attached, don't know why.... it was in a paddock with other Llamas.... be a bit lonely for him i guess. Because the camel was small in size, from a distance it almost looked like one of the llamas.......

Great pics mate
whats rims and size tyres are you using here, they look like hylux ones?

The rims are 17" Prado Steel Rims and the Tyres are 265/70/17 Federal Couragia M/T's. They work out to be exactly the same size as your 265/75/16 tyres. 5.16% difference in the speedo reading too. They are quite noisy on the road as I presume these Utes aren't the best when it comes to sound proofing.... Listening to the noise, u would think I had wheel bearing issues when driving on the blacktop....

The tyres went well, but they do rub so I guess a suspension upgrade is required.....They rub up front on turning and the rear ones rub on the plastic bit of the side step on upwards travel....
The ute already had OME Rear Leaves and Shocks + OME front shocks with Std TB..... So I'm hoping with the suspension upgrade, the rubbing will disappear

One thing I did experience when driving up some of the steep roads that had the speed bumps was some concerning front suspension noise (metal clunking sound) when the Front wheels dropped into potholes and general up/down movement. This was experienced when driving straight and still in 2WD. It wasn't the suspension bottoming out either, so more investigation will be needed.....

Latest posts

Back