Snow chains - same brand multiple model differences in fitting same tyre? - SOLVED

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gagzila

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Been looking into getting some snow chains. Would love to get myself some Konig Rallye Mud & Snow chains but at close to $500 a set they are a bit out of reach at the moment.

I've basically settled for Autotecnica snow only chains which are supposed to be fairly good quality for a reasonable price ($160) but they list two models that fit my tyre size of 265/75/16 and I am trying to weigh up which to get going on a the below considerations:

CA460 - will fit my tyres and about 20+ others making them potentially much more useful over the years with other cars.

CA490 - will fit my tyres but also only about 7 other odd sized tyres - however from what the manufacturer has said back to me, they are "slightly higher" which to me may mean that less chain is wrapped around the tyre wall and therefore have a larger chain contact area on the tread (the point of getting diamond style chains) and will therefore perform better traction wise for the primary vehicle they are being purchased for - the Nav. OR it could just mean there will be more slack in the chain to take up when tensioning versus the 460 model.

http://www.autotecnica.com.au/snow-chains-4wd-4x4-14-15-16-17-18-19-20

Waiting for a more detailed response from Autotecnica on the matter but thought I would see if anyone on here has any experience on such a matter.

Cheers,

Craig

Talking to a friend today with a D40 auto and he said he was advised by Nissan to put the chains on the rear wheels. He is heading off skiing. Is this correct position for them ??

i hired some from auto barn for my d22 on the wk end. they only have me a pair and they sed to put them on the front for steering and for when in 4wd

If you're in a RWD or in 2WD mode then put them on the rear (unless going down a very steep hill you might then put them on the fronts for braking and turning traction).

If you're in 4WD mode, put them on the front for driving and turning traction. If you can afford two sets, then put them on all four wheels. If they are specifically made for it, you can also fit chains for traction in mud (obviously fit before entering mud and getting bogged!)

So I take it no one has any information for MY query though? :focus:

The manufacturer wasn't very helpful in the end and just referred me to two stores in my town to try the chains on that I am sure do not actually stock the chains. Bendigo isn't anywhere near places that you need them so no one actually stocks any, hence my reason for contacting the manufacturer in the first place :withstupid:

Cheers,

Craig

Last edited:
When you're fitting the chains, you tension them up so that they're tight, you drive the car for a few metres, then stop and tighten them up some more if needed.

This allows for a slightly oversized chain to still work on your wheels - you can take up some of the 'slack'.

It means either set would suit, it then depends if you're likely to toss the wheels in favour of another size (like arctic tyres LOL).

Talking to a friend today with a D40 auto and he said he was advised by Nissan to put the chains on the rear wheels. He is heading off skiing. Is this correct position for them ??

If you're in a RWD or in 2WD mode then put them on the rear (unless going down a very steep hill you might then put them on the fronts for braking and turning traction).

If you're in 4WD mode, put them on the front for driving and turning traction. If you can afford two sets, then put them on all four wheels. If they are specifically made for it, you can also fit chains for traction in mud (obviously fit before entering mud and getting bogged!)

So I take it no one has any information for MY query though? :focus:

Cheers,

Craig

After working in a service station and combined hire shop down in Jindabyne for a few years i unfortunatly had to teach many many people how to fit chains and what i found was that due to the hundreds of different tyre sizes there were in most cases multiple chain size options and all it really means is that either will work fine but the adjustment will be at eaither end of the scale, both will do the job SO i would buy the ones that will give you more options in the futer with changing tyre sizes.

as for what wheels to fit them on, as mentioned above they always go on the driving wheels,
front wheel drive = fit to front
rear wheel drive= fit rear wheels
4x4 or all wheel drive (eg landcruiser) engages 4wd and fit to front tyres

There is no real need for all four but it cant hurt if you can be bothered fitting them all.

Just remember that by LAW you DONT need to carry them with 4wd's you only need to carry them in 2wd's

I have been going to the snow for 35yrs and worked down there for 5 seasons all up, my sister and other relos all live in Jindabyne and own 4wds and none of us including my father has ever had to fit chains to any of our 4wds, and that includes doing the drive into Guthega which is dirt.

2wd's YES on plenty of occasions.

My point is that the chances are very high that you simply wont even use them to go to and from ski fields ,
You will however have a better chance of using them if you were to do some Vic high country between june and oct.

Thanks Old Tony and Nathand22, sounds like it's a much of a muchness and the better option will the the CA460 as it fits many more tyre sizes.

It's really all I was asking the manufacturer, whether there is a performance difference or some reason for preferring one over of the other.

Cheers,

Craig

Not sure if you are going to Hotham or not but this is from the Hotham web site.

Important Note for all guests about snow chains and driving to Hotham Alpine Resort:

Diamond pattern snow chains (ladder chains, spider chains and snow socks are not permitted) are now mandatory for all vehicles at all times during the declared snow season and must be fitted where directed. It is a legal requirement for all vehicles entering the Mount Hotham Alpine Resort, and it is also a safety measure.

You can hire chains at the base of the mountain, in Harrietville from Hotham Sports or Hoys Ski Centre or in Omeo from various Service Stations. Hoys chain fitting service operates on the Harrietville approach of the Great Alpine Road when vehicles are required to fit them. This is a free service for Hoys chain customers.

Please note, if the weather is producing snowfalls or low visibility, there may be delays on the Great Alpine Road. If guests are coming from Melbourne during these times we recommend using the Great Alpine Road via Omeo as an alternative route to getting here.

Hey Navarian,

Yeah I do believe that 4wds used to be exempt from the compulsory requirement to carry snow chains but while reading around recently in my research on purchasing some, it appears 4wds are now lumped in with the rest and must at least carry a set.

I am going to Jindabyne later this year to hit the slopes of Perisher (btw, does anyone know a good diesel anti freeze additive? Or is it better to just get alpine diesel when driving through the area?) and may do some high country 4wding in the future, hence deciding to buy chains rather than hire them. 2-3 trips just to the snow fields will have them paid for with not having to hire them (for the cost of the ones I am looking at anyway).

Cheers,

Craig

just get alpine diesel, i have only had to fit chains once, and i blame the bus that drove into a snow drift and i had to stop(that was on a/t's) when driving on muddies chains are a waist of time and money, if you run muddys just get a cheap set

Last edited:
Not sure if you are going to Hotham or not but this is from the Hotham web site.

Important Note for all guests about snow chains and driving to Hotham Alpine Resort:

Diamond pattern snow chains (ladder chains, spider chains and snow socks are not permitted) are now mandatory for all vehicles at all times during the declared snow season and must be fitted where directed. It is a legal requirement for all vehicles entering the Mount Hotham Alpine Resort, and it is also a safety measure.

You can hire chains at the base of the mountain, in Harrietville from Hotham Sports or Hoys Ski Centre or in Omeo from various Service Stations. Hoys chain fitting service operates on the Harrietville approach of the Great Alpine Road when vehicles are required to fit them. This is a free service for Hoys chain customers.

Please note, if the weather is producing snowfalls or low visibility, there may be delays on the Great Alpine Road. If guests are coming from Melbourne during these times we recommend using the Great Alpine Road via Omeo as an alternative route to getting here.

Hey Navarian,

Yeah I do believe that 4wds used to be exempt from the compulsory requirement to carry snow chains but while reading around recently in my research on purchasing some, it appears 4wds are now lumped in with the rest and must at least carry a set.

I am going to Jindabyne later this year to hit the slopes of Perisher (btw, does anyone know a good diesel anti freeze additive? Or is it better to just get alpine diesel when driving through the area?) and may do some high country 4wding in the future, hence deciding to buy chains rather than hire them. 2-3 trips just to the snow fields will have them paid for with not having to hire them (for the cost of the ones I am looking at anyway).

Cheers,

Craig

I was at perisher last weekend and chain bays were in full operation, and as per every year all 4wd vehicles were waved through by police and NPWS.
So while VIC may have changed rules NSW definitely have NOT.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
As for fuel, just buy it anywhere from south Canberra to Jindabyne and it will be alpine diesel.
Cooma is prob best spot as its about 8c per lt cheaper then Jindy

Last edited:
Alpine diesel is available near all the resorts,for an additive if it's needed i use flashlube winter fuel formula.

Also, carry a few small blocks of wood to drive on when fitting (narrower than tyre). Makes it heaps easier.

Sorry to Drag up an old thread but it's getting close to that time of year.

Anyway just orded a set of chains
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130521390782?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_2904wt_1104

Will let you know how they go. The Missus has got a job at Adaminaby for 3 months so guessed I might as well buy a set. With Info that was sent from her empolyer. "Snow Chain are alegal requirement but 4wd exempt. Better safe the sorry. According to nissan hand book is says Rear Wheels Only. I'm guess it one of those we told you so type things.

Any one every needed them on the front or has the lsd done the job.

Go to places like Canada and you will see hardly anybody uses snow chains. Although most vehicles do have winter/snow tires. No studs or anything trick like that just rubber that don't go hard in the cold temps. .

Latest posts

Back