Solve my no start issues

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mister2

Reaction score
Hi guys,

As a lead on from my previous thread, http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=26960 , I am looking for some help. Here is an email of a quick break down of what my mechanic has done:

REMOVE AND REFIT
CYL HEAD FRONT TIMING TIMING COVER AND TIMING GEAR
OIL SUMP
NEC FITTINGS FOR REMOVE CYL HEAD

WORK DONE
MARKED ALL TIMING GEAR BEFORE REMOVED AND REFIT
CYL HEAD MACHINED
SUPPLY VRS GASKET SET
HEAD GASKET WAS NOT INCLUDED IN HEAD SET FOR ANY DIESEL ENGINE THEREFOR HAVE TO
PURCHASE AS AN EXTRA PART
HEAD BOLTS SET
OIL FILTER & FUEL FILTER
ENGINE OIL &COOLANT + THERMALSTAT
WATER PUMP & FAN CLUTCH
AFTER ALL THESE WAS DONE I DISCOVER HAND FUEL PUMP UNABLE TO BUILT UP PRESSURE
THEN REPLACED FUEL PUMP TO GAIN FUEL PRESSURE BUT STILL FAIL TO START ENGINE TEST
GLOW PLUGS ALL OK FUEL WENT INTO SYSTEM OK BUT AFTER FEW CRANKS OVER HAND PUMP
PRESSURE DROP RE-PUMP HAND PUMP AGAIN AND PRESSURE REGAIN AFTER 3-4 PUMPS BUT
STILL FAIL TO START ENGINE PLEASE NOTE WHEN FUEL PRESSURE DROP THERE WAS NO SIGN OF
ANY LEAKING OF FUEL ANYWHERE INTERNAL OR EXTERNAL I HAVE SPOKEN TO A FEW PEOPLE AND
NISSAN TECHNICIAN ABOUT MAYBE THERE WAS SOME KIND OF REPROGRAM WAS REQUIRE BUT
NO ONE CAN GIVE BETTER IDEA
THESE MAYBE ALL I CAN LISTED FOR NOW SEE IF YOU CAN USE THIS FOR ANY KIND OF HELP
PLEASE LET ME KNOW THANKS MATE

When he says he replaced the fuel pump he means the hand pump.

But anyway, anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance

hey mate,

just read through your other post to get an idea of whats going on.

Few questions,

when you try to start it, does it just keep turning over but no start?
does it throw an engine warning light if you keep cranking?
Has he pulled the starter motor and check it?
does it sound slow to crank?

My hand pump always loses a bit of it firmness after i have primed it and started the engine. turn it off and it takes maybe three pumps to get it firm again.

I had a starting problem with my ute that use to come and go. some days it would take ages to start, others a few winds and she went. It use to throw an engine code for the CAS sensor, it was just a sympathy fault from cranking for to long.

I chased my tail for a while, new battery, new glow plugs, checked ecu connections, battery connections, earth points, new fuel filters, checked for air in the lines and even thought about new injectors. I changed the starter solenoid and still no real success.

I never thought about the starter motor itself because i believed the engine sounded as though it was cranking over as hard and fast as always. One day i got the shits because it wouldn't start at all, just kept cranking over. so i pulled the starter motor off to check it, was full of shit and the brushes were worn down. Rebuilt it with new brushes and put it back in. Started within a few cranks and haven't had a starting problem yet.

So the starter motor may not be your problem mate, and i may be way off the mark but its something you could think about checking. Pretty easy job to replace the starter motor if you have it back at home. Rebuilding the starter is a bit of a pain, soldering on the brushes sucks hard. if the brushes look okay give the whole starter a good clean, then use some wet and dry sand paper to clean area where the brushes sit. Make sure you get the crap out from in between the poles so that there is no shorts. Also make sure the brushes more freely in their holders.

The starter solenoid that sits on top of the starter motor is a replacement job, ashdown and ingram have them for like $40.

Best of luck mate.

hey mate,

just read through your other post to get an idea of whats going on.

Few questions,

when you try to start it, does it just keep turning over but no start?Yup
does it throw an engine warning light if you keep cranking?Nope
Has he pulled the starter motor and check it?Not that I know of
does it sound slow to crank?Nah sounds about normal

My hand pump always loses a bit of it firmness after i have primed it and started the engine. turn it off and it takes maybe three pumps to get it firm again.

I had a starting problem with my ute that use to come and go. some days it would take ages to start, others a few winds and she went. It use to throw an engine code for the CAS sensor, it was just a sympathy fault from cranking for to long.

I chased my tail for a while, new battery, new glow plugs, checked ecu connections, battery connections, earth points, new fuel filters, checked for air in the lines and even thought about new injectors. I changed the starter solenoid and still no real success.

I never thought about the starter motor itself because i believed the engine sounded as though it was cranking over as hard and fast as always. One day i got the shits because it wouldn't start at all, just kept cranking over. so i pulled the starter motor off to check it, was full of shit and the brushes were worn down. Rebuilt it with new brushes and put it back in. Started within a few cranks and haven't had a starting problem yet.

So the starter motor may not be your problem mate, and i may be way off the mark but its something you could think about checking. Pretty easy job to replace the starter motor if you have it back at home. Rebuilding the starter is a bit of a pain, soldering on the brushes sucks hard. if the brushes look okay give the whole starter a good clean, then use some wet and dry sand paper to clean area where the brushes sit. Make sure you get the crap out from in between the poles so that there is no shorts. Also make sure the brushes more freely in their holders.

The starter solenoid that sits on top of the starter motor is a replacement job, ashdown and ingram have them for like $40.

Best of luck mate.

I'll pass on all the info, thanks heaps.

I'm still interested in the answers to a couple of questions:

1) What do you smell when you sniff the exhaust? Do you smell diesel fuel at all? If you do, then the injectors are opening and fuel is getting in, so it MUST be a timing issue. If you don't, then the injectors aren't opening, it could be fuel supply problem, or ECU command to open not being received, which could be ECU voltage or simply a harness issue (dirty connections on injector harness, ECU).

2) When you put clear hose on the fuel filter, do you see any bubbles? If you do, there's a leak. You won't see diesel leaking out from anywhere before the fuel pump, because it's all suction-side - so it will draw air in quite happily, and that's not going to help the thing start.

1) What do you smell when you sniff the exhaust? Do you smell diesel fuel at all? If you do, then the injectors are opening and fuel is getting in, so it MUST be a timing issue. If you don't, then the injectors aren't opening, it could be fuel supply problem, or ECU command to open not being received, which could be ECU voltage or simply a harness issue (dirty connections on injector harness, ECU).

2) When you put clear hose on the fuel filter, do you see any bubbles? If you do, there's a leak. You won't see diesel leaking out from anywhere before the fuel pump, because it's all suction-side - so it will draw air in quite happily, and that's not going to help the thing start.

Shit sorry I must have planned to check these when I got the ute, but my mech wanted to have another crack so it is still there.

I will call him tomorrow and ask.

Alright...

So, for number 1 there is definitely no diesel smell. As such he is going to put a clear hose on it and see if there is bubbles running through.

Hey guys,

Thanks heaps for all the info. I passed it all on to the mech and he tried a fair few things before his mate came a long and said "Ya tried and Start Ya' Bastard?"

So, as frustrating as it is that its taken 2-3 months for the $10 can idea to come up, she is now running and back in my possesion.

Now to get some gauges so I dont have to go through this shit again.

And an IC/exhaust too.

Thanks again,

Latest posts

Back