Sump thread.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conned

Reaction score
I have a 2011st x 550,bought new, done 150k klms, at service just completed was told I will probably need a new sump as the thread has been essentially stripped. Always and only serviced at the dealership from which it was purchased, also told this was a common problem as the washer was/is harder than the cast of the sump. Just wondering how common this is or are they passing the buck. Apparently the plug was reinstalled the previous service with the aid of 'plenty of tape 'and the car returned to me as if no issues. Anyone aware of this problem, thanks.

It is a common issue that poorly trained mechanics cross thread sump plugs (and more commonly spark plugs)

A wrap of PTFE tape will get around it.

A more robust solution is to repair the thread with a helicoil or similar.

Personally I would request the dealership carried out the repair on the assumption that a small claims court would rule in your favour.

I have a 2011st x 550,bought new, done 150k klms, at service just completed was told I will probably need a new sump as the thread has been essentially stripped. Always and only serviced at the dealership from which it was purchased, also told this was a common problem as the washer was/is harder than the cast of the sump. Just wondering how common this is or are they passing the buck. Apparently the plug was reinstalled the previous service with the aid of 'plenty of tape 'and the car returned to me as if no issues. Anyone aware of this problem, thanks.
Yeah my old man had a similar but even worse experience. Dealer bought and serviced from new, told sump plug had been spot welded on. When he pointed out the service and purchase history they accepted responsibility and fixed it at their own cost. I would suggest they fix it.

Yeah my old man had a similar but even worse experience. Dealer bought and serviced from new, told sump plug had been spot welded on. When he pointed out the service and purchase history they accepted responsibility and fixed it at their own cost. I would suggest they fix it.
What about a helicoil?

Back