Suspected Head gone, diesel sealant?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Griffith

Reaction score
Hi all,

Looks like my head gasket is cracked/leaking, I have engine spewing all it's coolant out the expansion tank overflow, and when filled back up with cold water I have constant bubbling and steam.

I spoke to someone who said they had a blown head in an old petrol XG Falcon, and instead of having it repaired they ran a special sealant through the cooling system which plugged the leak/crack, and solved the issue. Saved them a bundle and it's apparently been running like that for years with no further issues.

I spoke to another mate who is a keen Patrol man who claims you cannot put this type of sealant into a diesel engine due to the higher compression than a petrol. However, looking online there are defintely diesel sealants available.

Has anyone ever tried this? Someone else claimed it can't get any worse, but I reckon it sure can - my engine isn't seized yet.

Cheers

You will very quickly get a cracked head... and IF these cheap fixes worked don't you think it would be used by everyone.... not just people trying to sell a pile of crap?

Had the same problem on a zd30 motor. Tried every sealer both the cheap and expensive ones. None worked. It’s not that bad a job to replace head gasket or the head for that matter before the damage gets any worse. Corrosion around the leak either to the head or the block will make a problem for any future gasket.

I’ve used head gasket stop leak to get me home in a bind and it has worked for the couple hundred Ks I needed it too kseal is what I used and I always keep a bottle in the vehicle for emergencies but I have always stripped engine and repaired asap when back to civilization and parts my advice use at your own risk and expect a bigger repair bill later!! if possible fix it right the first time is my opinion

Like @Rhino1174 I've used K-Seal before but mine was for a leaking radiator. It worked in seconds, but I did buy a new radiator and had the engine flushed to remove any remaining sealant.

There are two products sold by Supercheap Auto that claim to do the job, and I've seen others (Chem-i-weld comes to mind). Here's the list. They don't distinguish between petrol and diesel engines, and I've no information on whether it will work on our diesels.

https://autobarn.com.au/ab/Autobarn...emical-Welding-Compound-325mL---13A/p/DI01286
https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/nulon-nulon-head-gasket-repair---750ml/523425.html
https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/rislone-rislone-head-gasket-fix---680g/290752.html

Well you talk about the punishment doesn't match the crime, about two hundred yards to clear a junction after I spotted the temp needle running up towards the red.

Attachments

• gasket2.jpg
    gasket2.jpg
    421.2 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back