There is a whining noise when i accelerate

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerrie0400

Reaction score
:tazzy:I have been posting a lot lately as im about to buy my first d40 and really don't want to buy a lemon.

I took a 2006 Nissan navara st-x, 4.0lt v6 manual for a test drive, it has 197000kms on the clock.The test drive went well beside one thing that worries me after reading through post on the forum and youtube videos.

There is a a whining noise coming from the ute somewhere and it was loud enough to notice.It was if there was static noise coming through the radio. as I accelerate the noise seems to increase as the revs increase. apart from this issues it drove good.

The whine noise doesn't seem to be in it when idling and there are no clunk/ rattle noises in the motor but I still cant help to think that it could be the timing chain, after reading the forum it seems to be a big issue.

Im paying $15500 for the ute through a deal with 2 year 100,000km warranty which does cover timing chain buy only if it snaps and only up to $1500 per covered item per claim but doesn't cover the any other damaged caused by the snapped chain.the issue I have is if the chain snaps on the way home which is a 800km drive and im left with a very damaged motor.

I don't mind paying for new timing kit $1000 quoted by repco its just the drive home that worries me.

Are there any thoughts on this

i would say if your that concerned about it and your heads telling you about these niggling things , then walk away from it

:tazzy:I have been posting a lot lately as im about to buy my first d40 and really don't want to buy a lemon.
There is a a whining noise coming from the ute somewhere and it was loud

just kick the passenger out then no one can whine about your driving, well you wont hear it anyway :ha:

Can you take it somewhere to get looked at before you buy? Or jus repalce it where ever you're buying it?

:QUOTE: The whine noise doesn't seem to be in it when idling and there are no clunk/ rattle noises in the motor but I still cant help to think that it could be the timing chain, after reading the forum it seems to be a big issue.

Not sure if i've read any threads to do with petrol v6 timing chain issues,i think it's some 2.5 diesels that have that problem.

Im not 100 % sure on what tyres are on it but they are standard rims. I have asked the dealership to get there mechanic to check it out before i pick it up. I highly dout they will take it to another mechanic for me and i cant do it myself as i live 8hrs from sydney which is where the dealer is.

My partner is also a mechanic and he is not sure what it is but it sounds like the timing chain. He is going to put a scope on it when we get home.

Im not worried about replacing the timing chain/tensioner its more worry about the chain snapping on the way home but i havent actually read anywhere on this forum that anyone has had there chain snap just the whining noise.

I had planned on putting a new timing kit in which ever d40 i buy as i only have to pay for parts and not the labour. I thinks its abit of mind over matter at the moment.

That's the first I've heard of a petrol motor having the issues, as mentioned above it was the 2.5l diesel 4 cyl models that have been having problems...

Some motors are just "noisy", that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it though... There aren't many people on here with the petrol v6's so it may take a while to get a reply as to whether it's normal or not... On the warranty note, unless you are going to get it serviced at the dealer you are getting it from then forget it. They aren't worth the paper they're printed on unless you get it serviced where you bought it. Even then most of the time its like pulling teeth trying to get them to cover something...

Has it got a full service history? As said above, if you're not sure of anything or don't want to risk it, then walk away...

I have decided to take the risk and buy the ute, from all the research I have done over the last few days there is nothing to back the noise im hearing.the reason why is

1. Hardly anyone in Australia has heard of the chain guide issues in the petrol motor.
2. I rang Nissan and they said there was never an issue with the petrol as the chain guides were made from different material, no recalls.
3. All the youtube videos and forum threads only refer to the American version frontier, I couldn't find any info on this happening to the d40 in Australia
4. My partner is a mechanic so he advantage to ring suppliers/experts. He did ring one Nissan person who said they cant recall any issue with the petrol nor does the big suppliers sell the timing kit for themand never has because they have never had the market for.

The ute was taken to a outside mechanic that didn't pick up anything unusal, so it might be that the petrol motors are more noisy, im use to diesels and v8's. So really there is no evidence to support the whine im hearing is the timing guides.

Back