Timing chain noise - register of recordings identifying the noise?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Granthem

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

New to the forum. I have recently purchased a 08 ST-X auto YD25 Navara. I have a TB48 GU patrol (which I love, apart from the juice it sucks), and therefore decided to go down the diesel route.

I therefore went a Nav to reduce the running expenses. As with most, the whole timing chain issue has everyone a little worried about these things. I see thousands on the roads, which makes me think it really must be a luck of the draw issue.

In any event, has anyone who has replaced their timing chain done a before and after recording? I ask because for someone new to diesels, identifying a sound can be difficult (noisy bloody things they are!).

I have a noise in my motor, which I originally believed to be something to do with a belt or pulley. However, lots of reading now has me worried. It is definitely not a knock, or a rattle. It is constant (ie not dependent on oil pressure). Best way to describe it would be a "whirring" sound.

I will upload a recording on the sound tonight (provided it records well enough on the phone).

My general thoughts are a library of recorded sounds would be helpful for people worried about the issue. I understand they can be difficult to record - but I think it could be a helpful place to start.

You can't miss a timing chain rattle its just a loud rattle for the first 5 seconds after start up easy to spot

Hi mate, I remembered seeing this clip a while back, it may help you a bit. And like you said it's the luck of the draw often noisy belts can be the culprit try wetting the belts and see if the noise goes.
Cheers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEi_dXUb_a0

The "whirring" noise mine gets - I think I can hear in that video. God explaining what you are hearing over the internet is difficult.

I have found a youtube video of a start up rattle and it is definitely obvious. But that kind of rattle isn't heard in the video clip above.

It does seem to be a common thing: if you use aftermarket oil filters there is a much greater chance of timing chain failure (or so it seems). The reason is likely to be that the genuine filter has a one-way valve in it that stops the oil draining back to the sump (this is the theory anyway) so on cold start, there's not as much time that the tensioners are running 'dry'.

Might be time for a poll.

Alright. Here is a video. Apologies. It's raw and unedited.

The noise I am worried about is not the chattery diesel. I am more worried about the noise somewhat in the background. It is clearest on the passenger side - and is the audible noise somewhat in line with "chug chug chug".

Hopefully you guys can decipher my terrible explanation. Say "chug chug chug" in your head - and listen to the noise with the same consistency.

As always - doesn't show up in audio form like it does with human ears!

https://vid.me/mpGx

It seems if there is any doubt it should be changed, as if it breaks it a bin job for the engine and a lot of money.
I think budgeting for a new chain every 100 000klm is the only insurance against this problem. Which is a expensive pain and Nissan should do something about it as its ruining what is other wise a winning ute...

I have looked into this as my navara thialand build is 92000 Ks now. I was told the thialand ones... Newer Thai ones like mine 2011 build have a thing programmed in the ecu that detects the chain prob if needed to be changed it will stall after 5 seconds on a cold start. So good to know there is a bit of security. With the Spain ones they don't have this. I was also informed to change mine at around 120,000 for peace of mine as i am anal with my nav. So in theory in saying that if you have a nav and worried about this make it a service item at around 120,000 ish and do it. Get onto the guys at yd25 and buy and install a dual chain kit. That's what ill be doing when i reach those k's

yea good advice. The thai has cam and crank sensors that shut down the motor when out of tolerance. not fool proof though. Replacement is a bit expensive at $3200 every 100 000klm though.
Not good enough Nissan....

Grant, Did you try tightening your main belt up to see if that helped at all. Im pretty sure my 08 spanish is due for a timing chain just started making a 3 sec chain slap noise on start up. It has 98000km on it. You can come compare it to mine if you want. I live in wandal.

Cheers, Luke.

Grant, Did you try tightening your main belt up to see if that helped at all. Im pretty sure my 08 spanish is due for a timing chain just started making a 3 sec chain slap noise on start up. It has 98000km on it. You can come compare it to mine if you want. I live in wandal.

Cheers, Luke.

Luke - I haven't tried tightening the belts yet. I just feel it sounds more like a belt/pulley bearing than a chain.

I might pop around on the weekend and have a quick listen to yours? Compare the two noises. Would be good to let you hear mine aswell, the video doesn't pick it up well.

I will contact you on FB

It could also be the clutch on the alternator pulley they have a anti roll back clutch in them and it will make a bit of noise if stuffed. But its a cheap fix to replace the pulley.

The pulleys can make a shitty rattling noise too under throttle when cold. But that's under throttle. Mine is an 06 Spain with 172xxx kms and havent had the chain slap noise yet. I am the second owner as of 98xxx kms so it may have been done already.

Might check the book actually. Didnt read it in detail from the start.

Well I spent the weekend digging around. Pulled both belts off and started the car - noise still there.

So looks like the next place to look is inside the timing case. Farkin thing

Well I spent the weekend digging around. Pulled both belts off and started the car - noise still there.

So looks like the next place to look is inside the timing case. Farkin thing

Car went in yesterday to have a new YD25 dual row kit fitted. It was clear the next step in finding the noise was to pull the timing cover off, so while it was all out, it was worth installing even if it didn't fix the noise.

The good news is it did. Below is an example of my chain and guides. The simplex chain had two stretched links. Picture attached shows one of those links of the left hand side of the image.

As these links go through the sprockets, the stretched links actually sit up, and hence the cyclic noise and chewed out guides.

Tensioners all appeared fine, and because there were only two stretched links, the over all chain had not worn so significantly as to have them protruding much...

Mortal of the story, the chain is clearly the inferior item IMO, not the tensioners.

Attachments

• wear on link.jpg
    wear on link.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 120
  • wearon plastic.jpg
    wearon plastic.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 120
Fark, I have a mates looking at buying nissans with the yd25 and I warn them all about this known timing chain issue, I think if I bought one I would almost certainly change to a dual row chain immediately. Insane that you coudl buy a brand new car and have to do that sort of work within the first 50xxx-100xxxkms.

I got scared when my mate asked if I was changing my timing chain on my ZD30, turns out the chain doesnt even have a service interval and last the life of the engine haha

Back