Timing chain stretched AGAIN after just 18,000kms/2years since last chain installed!!!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rustys26

Reaction score
Immensely frustrated right now. I had problems 2 years ago with the notorious timing chain (could even hear it slapping/rattling behind cover) and got it replaced with the double row chain kit. Costed me $2,700

Fast forward to this month and the ute started stalling when cold, but not when warm. Changed fuel filter, nothing. Got a service and changed the SCV, nothing. Then I take it back to mechanic and he determines that the cam sensor and crank angle sensor are not pulsing at the same time.....
I see from other posts on here, which recommend unplugging the cam sensor and starting while cold. Did that this morning, and it idled for 2 mins no problem. Plugged it back in and started up....back to stalling. Unless someone can correct me.....it seems that new timing chain (WITH LESS THAN 20,000kms on it!) has stretched again!

WHY!?! I don't tow anything and drive like an old grandma. I don't want to spend another $3k on something that will just become a problem again in 1-2 years. Is there something else I should have replaced/repaired during this timing chain replacement?
I'm considering just taking a huge loss and getting rid of this stupid Nav. That would really really hurt my wallet, so if anyone has any insight or advice....please let me know....

Thanks in advance!

I'd have a listen to the chains before jumping at them, but if you've been servicing the car regularly and not driving it hard, they're probably not the culprit - it could be the cam sensors, and may only just be an electrical connection (especially if someone has pressure-washed the engine bay).

I'd have a listen to the chains before jumping at them, but if you've been servicing the car regularly and not driving it hard, they're probably not the culprit - it could be the cam sensors, and may only just be an electrical connection (especially if someone has pressure-washed the engine bay).
Thanks Tony,

I don't hear any timing chain noise (was very loud and obvious last time, but didn't have the stalling issue then). However, I haven't put a stethoscope on it or anything. This post is the one that primarily points me to a strong suspicion of timing chain....as this is exactly what is happening (I see you replied to that 9 years ago!), but there are several others that seem to confirm the diagnosis.

Haven't done any pressure washing, but there has been some heavy rain up here in Townsville this summer....and there WAS some leaking of rainwater into the cab, pooling under the driver's side floor mat. Wasn't able to source the leak there.....and probably unrelated.....

But, yes...I think you are right that it would be wise to replace the cam and crank angle sensors first and see where that gets me.

I'll keep you updated. Let me know if you have any other thoughts!

Cheers!

Immensely frustrated right now. I had problems 2 years ago with the notorious timing chain (could even hear it slapping/rattling behind cover) and got it replaced with the double row chain kit. Costed me $2,700

Fast forward to this month and the ute started stalling when cold, but not when warm. Changed fuel filter, nothing. Got a service and changed the SCV, nothing. Then I take it back to mechanic and he determines that the cam sensor and crank angle sensor are not pulsing at the same time.....
I see from other posts on here, which recommend unplugging the cam sensor and starting while cold. Did that this morning, and it idled for 2 mins no problem. Plugged it back in and started up....back to stalling. Unless someone can correct me.....it seems that new timing chain (WITH LESS THAN 20,000kms on it!) has stretched again!

WHY!?! I don't tow anything and drive like an old grandma. I don't want to spend another $3k on something that will just become a problem again in 1-2 years. Is there something else I should have replaced/repaired during this timing chain replacement?
I'm considering just taking a huge loss and getting rid of this stupid Nav. That would really really hurt my wallet, so if anyone has any insight or advice....please let me know....

Thanks in advance!
I worked in a major truck repair shop and one of the mechanics had a Mits and he replaced the timing chain. But when he put on the new chain he gave the chain a little more tension and two weeks later the timing chain broke causing hundreds of dollars damage. Note do not give a timing chain any more tension than the manufactures specs.

Thanks in advance!
to me it seems as if your cam has drag in the bearings

I am currently dealing with a 'stall at cold' issue again - after thinking I 'got it' a number of times..............

The one thing with the ECU triggered cut out (on the VSKs) as a result of cam/crank correlation (or lack thereof) is that it should do it consistently/predictably because a programmatically set magic number is exceeded - not just if it feels like it. i.e. if bad then stall stall else run. Its not as if the amount of chain stretch changes over time - its either stretched or its not. As an aside, it also blows my mind that it (apparently) does not set the check engine light or codes - therefore taking some of the frikkin mystery out of it!!!! Do we have any sense of the other parameters it might use? Runtime, temperature, what gear? I would have thought also that such a mechanism is rather dangerous depending on those parameters. More to the point, where has the theory about the presence of this feature/function in the ECU come from? Hard evidence?

I am at the point where I can tell when its probably going to happen. Shortly after start idle will drop just slightly and it will feel a little rough. Sometimes it will go back to normal after 5-15 secs - otherwise it will stall. Start up again is immediate. No extended crank at all. I should also add that mine has done it a couple of times at running temperature - e.g. whilst sitting at traffic lights (in 'D'). I have also noticed that the colder and damper (e.g. a misty/foggy morning) that it is at start, the more likely it will happen. There is something to that I am sure - i.e. electrical.

I have already swapped the cam sensor - and it did it again. I am about to do the crank sensor. If there is no change with that, I am putting the old SCV back in that I swapped out a number of years ago now.

At the risk of calling it too soon, putting back the old SCV has seemingly fixed my stall issue. The crank sensor did nothing. Looking back at my records, I swapped out the SCV (only as a precautionary thing) at the end of 2016. The first instance of the stall occurring was 2.5 years later - at Eaglevale/Dargo. Somewhat thankfully, in the 2-3 weeks leading up to swapping sensors and then the SCV back out, the stall at start/cold had become more of a certainty at every start - rather than a very occasional rarity and thus why I am calling it. And I had well and truly forgotten how much of a pain it was to get to...............

I think the old saying 'just because its new doesnt make it good' is very appropriate here....

Where are you up to Rusty?

Latest posts

Back