Top end speed / pickup

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a very odd thing to happen.

In a manual with the clutch pedal released (and assuming a properly-working clutch) one revolution of the engine becomes one revolution of the gearbox input shaft. This then causes the final output to turn a fix number of times and that turns the diff and axles. 10 revolutions of the engine turns everything 10 times as much etc etc.

When we're talking speed, every revolution of the engine translates to a number of revolutions of the rear wheels. If you change the wheel size UP, every revolution of those wheels takes the car a little further.

That's why people are so confused by the airbox change causing this. The drive train is a fixed thing, it changes when you change gears but those gear ratios are static for the life of your car (with that gearbox & diff). Changes can happen with tyre change but to change a few hundred RPM like you've experienced, it'd be a massive tyre size change.

It's one of those weird ones. I've no idea what caused it and I'm not going to even try explaining it. I might call Mr Mulder though!

yea i got no idea,all i know is they changed.my brain is pre occupied trying to understand whats going on with my diff atm haha

Attachments

• 572 Ci Chev.jpg
    572 Ci Chev.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 37
haha... thanks everyone for the comments! I was having a brain fart... obviously there's way to lower the RPM via mods other than gearbox and wheel size.
So obviously I want to be producing more power and hopefully economy when I'm in 5th gear and around 3,000rpm.
Snorkel is going on in the near future, however after buying the car my bank account needs a little recovery time before any bigger mods.
Question is, do I put the exhaust on first then chip down the track.. or go for the chip and bang for buck now and exhaust later?
I guess by doing the exhaust first, I should maximise the benefit from the chip. Other advantage of doing it that way is I can have the exhaust installed locally or by myself... nearest installer for chips is 500km!
What's everyone experience with exhausts... do they only help with low end pickup and turbo spool up or do they help some at the top end too? 2.5", 2.75" or 3.0"? Will definitely be turbo back with a new dump pipe!

id go exhaust first so you can match the chip to it like you say.theres heaps of info on exhausts.most of what ive read has indicated there is no peformance gain from 2.5-3".xforce have a cheap sytem going atm.
got the shits now and i want to know what happened with mine,when i get back to nsw im going to put the stock airbox in temp and rec details then put the 80 back in and rec details and see what happends.i just didnt give it a second thought when the revs dropped.

Latest posts

Back