Tough Dog Suspension query

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

hoping that anyone has any advise or clues.

My D40 is running heavy duty bullbar/winch front suspension.

but never seems to have got the full 40mm lift on the front as per tough dogs specs.

i have had opposite lock replace the springs and nothing changed.

we are looking at trying the springs from the V6 diesel.

wondering if anyone tried this before? or is my only solution is to run spacers?

Mate I had the XXXHD tough dog springs in mine as It is really heavy too. they only fit them if 40mm not achieved with the XHD springs. I got 40mm but it never really felt right. Just too hard and stiff. This in turn caused the lower bushes to continually flog out. All this was done by opposite lock too at Springwood.
After getting no satisfaction I bit the bullet and ripped them out and replaced with Zordos recommendation. Dobinson hd springs and Lovells struts and I couldn't be happier. Nice progressive ride. The springs are thinner wite but more turns so they actually move now and no more bush wear..
So I wouldn't put springs in which were not designed for your truck. See if opposite lock will put Dobinson in Zordo may be able to assist...
Hope this helps..

I had issue with toughdog front springs not lifting high enough. They swapped for the v6 springs and I couldn't be happier, ride is great.

well had the springs fitted today and gained an extra 25mm. looks at lot more level now.

Attachments

• 20140715_172156.jpg
    20140715_172156.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 144
What winch rope have you got..
I changed mine and got rid of the steel cable. That made a difference as the cable weighted about 13kg.. and the rope was less than a kg.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405594821.972102.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405594841.569293.jpg
The dirty shot is toughdog 2 inch, the other photo is when they replaced front and rear. Front with 550 springs and the rear they replaced leaves and added a 12mm spacer.
Hope the photos work.

Not sure about Vic, But spacers are illegal in Qld. Of course oppy lock would have checked that for you Ha ha . They should of been able to get the correct lift in the rear with just a suitable spring. Spacers are a cheap fix and not really that good for load carrying vehicles...

The spacer is a ToughDog option where the low weight leaves are fitted . It actually looks like a straight piece of spring added to the bottom of the pack. Maybe because of canopy , dual battery and bash plates it helps avoid going to a spring that's too stiff to gain the desired lift . I don't mind as ToughDog are the experts and not me. Local 4wd shop had to sort it out with ToughDog as the first lot fitted were returned under warranty. They were great to deal with.

Ah, that sounds good. I have thought of adding a short cut down spring to mine from my old spring pack to get around the spacer option. but it would mean getting longer brake lines again. I got 50mm longer lines when I did the original lift. So im not keen to re do those and also would need longer shocks.

Latest posts

Back