Wastegate actuator problems

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey nav forum!
Long time reader and first time post. I have a d40 Thai 2011 yd25 with a wastegate actuator problem. I just replaced the wastegate with one off eBay as I had been told it has a bad diaphragm and it does but has happened because the wastegate keeps opening and closing so much during load. I've had a couple of mechanics look at Ute and first mech didn't see this wastegate problem and changed clutch. I had also changed the exhaust manifold before this as it was cracked and distorted quiet badly. but after the manifold, clutch and new wastegate actuator it is still doing the same thing and under load starts shaking and just I cant identify the problem. I thought it was def the wastegate as it seemed to be making a bunch of noise in the turbo area. I have loaded photos of wear of shaft of wastegate actuator as well. It has also had diagnostic tool and no codes thrown back. I have replaced with a stock replacement wastegate off ebay. Any help would be hugely appreciated as im a chippy trying to get back out on the road. ps could it possibly be the boost control solenoid? thanks

Attachments

• 20230731_104929[1].mp4
    14.9 MB
  • 20230727_182133[2].jpg
    20230727_182133[2].jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • Wastegatep_1[1].gif
    Wastegatep_1[1].gif
    471.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230727_182118[1].jpg
    20230727_182118[1].jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230607_121344[1].jpg
    20230607_121344[1].jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
The actuator controls the variable vanes as these modern turbos don't have the old style waste gate. This animation with the corny robot voice explains:

It's normal for the actuator rod to jump up and down at idle as per your video.

Your description of the problem is not clear to me. You're saying the car is shaking when you put it under load. Do you mean when you're driving? When you say shaking do you mean the actuator is bobbing up and down? If so how do you know it's jumping up and down under load? Did you put a camera under the bonnet?

The boost control solenoid would be worth changing as they're not too expensive. Don't buy the cheap $35 ones off eBay. I bought a Goss branded replacement for about $125.

The actuator controls the variable vanes as these modern turbos don't have the old style waste gate. This animation with the corny robot voice explains:

It's normal for the actuator rod to jump up and down at idle as per your video.

Your description of the problem is not clear to me. You're saying the car is shaking when you put it under load. Do you mean when you're driving? When you say shaking do you mean the actuator is bobbing up and down? If so how do you know it's jumping up and down under load? Did you put a camera under the bonnet?

The boost control solenoid would be worth changing as they're not too expensive. Don't buy the cheap $35 ones off eBay. I bought a Goss branded replacement for about $125

Hi mate my housemate has exactly the same engine and his doesn't move at all. cheers for the video. ive looked up and seen how these variables work and thought that the wastegate would only open once it hits 20psi and the spring in there pressurizes and what make its from opening premature and not getting to desired pressure.

And just to explain better mate. That video is just in idle and not when under load. I am guessing the wastegate is going even more crazy when in driving as it seems to be making a noise like rubbing like the wastagate opening and closing even quicker ans causing overboost. So it only presents itself at about 3000rpm in third gear about 40km and shows even earlier when towing a trailer. I can't show a mech in the shop as it doesn't show without driving it. Cheers for any help

Hi first off it’s not a waste gate your looking at it’s the variable vane actuator and it’s supposed to bounce up and down at idle don’t fear it’s working fine when it doesn’t move their is normally a problem has anyone actually but a boost gauge on the vehicle and checked to see what’s actually happening when driving? And yes it could have a problem and yes it could be the boost control solenoid but changing it without any real diagnosis of actual problems it’s hard to say exactly what is wrong. some form of boost measurement is really required whether that is fitting a manual gauge or just obd2 version and doing a real analysis of behavior is best solution and answer to your problem I can offer or you can throw the parts bin at it and hope on a wild guess but that isn’t very practical

Latest posts

Back