Zd30 lacks power when cold

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muddystr

Reaction score
So as the title depicts my zd30 d22 seems to be very rattly and has stuff all power when cold. The thing is I've never driven another one so I don't know if it's normal or an issue. So the question is if you have one is it normal (the same as yours) or do I have a problem? Power seems to come god as soon as the temp needle starts to move off the rest pin. If it is an issue anyone ever come accross it, or know where to start?

not being a smart ass or anything but what mates tell me and i share onto others, when you go to exercise do you expect to get full potential when your cold? or once your warmed up? same as the engine. i let my engine run 5-7mins before driving off, it reduces the chance of engine wear and tear

not being a smart ass or anything but what mates tell me and i share onto others, when you go to exercise do you expect to get full potential when your cold? or once your warmed up? same as the engine. i let my engine run 5-7mins before driving off, it reduces the chance of engine wear and tear

X2 Diesels don't like being below operating temp. Not do they enjoy cold fuel.

I've never driven mine hard enough cold to know if there's a lack of power when compared to warmed up, I mean it seems ok but I don't like the thought of the turbo spinning hard stone cold so I lay off until warm.

Yeah i take it easy on a cold engine and all but yeah, mines gutless when cold, can be a struggle backing up the driveway on cold mornings without revving it when it would otherwise just idle up.
Its a bit of a contentious issue, but iv found 2t oil really helps with this and quietens it down heaps too.

They are all valid points, and yes i do hold the same belief that engines are more prone to wear when cold, and that they produce more power when at operating temp. Although this is not a perfect world and there are occasions when i have to drive with a cold engine. When this is the case say having to move my car to let people out of a car park, just reversing up a very slight incline seems to be almost a struggle to not let it stall. Not trying to compare oranges to apples but i have driven a mates ford ranger(common rail) and power seems to be no issue at all when cold. I have never driven another non common rail diesel other than my own that is why i am asking the question. I am not intending to offend anyone just want to hear feedback and opinions as to whether it is normal from other zd30 owners

Cheers james

Yeah i take it easy on a cold engine and all but yeah, mines gutless when cold, can be a struggle backing up the driveway on cold mornings without revving it when it would otherwise just idle up.
Its a bit of a contentious issue, but iv found 2t oil really helps with this and quietens it down heaps too.

Thats exactly what i wanted to hear, so it seems that this is normal.
Thanks rabbit

Mine's out in the weather all the time and we get out share of cold nights here in Ballarat. I try not to rev it over 2500 rpm when cold - it only takes 4 or 5 kms to warm up. It is pretty slow when cold, but only lasts a few minutes.

Of course, with it warmed up but sucking in cold air you would expect it to be at it's best. I do notice a difference with cool air in the mornings - I don't have an intercooler (yet).

Definitely the cold diesel fatigue. Minimum 2-3 minutes each morning on my car, most of the time more.

There was an awesome video i saw months back on the tube, where a bloke done a comparo with 2 diesels. One he drove like its stolen from the moment he turned the key and shut it off as soon as he pulled the hand brake. The other was warmed up and allowed to cool down after a drive. We're only talking a minute or 2 each side. Months later and after 10k , difference was ridiculous. The piston gaps and cylinder bore etc, was way out of whack on engine that he ran down compared to the other one.

Mechanical sympathy prevails every time.

from what you describe i would say there is something going on,yes there is a noticable difference when cold as expected,especialy with diesel, though i dont think its normal for it to want to stall going up a slight incline as described.also the rattle is a bit of a concern.
i have had to drive mine cold a few times being called to work early and what not,yes theres a difference but i wouldnt call it gutless,it will still climb a small hill just around the corner (30m from my driveway) from my place (problly 50 degree hill) without useing the excellirator.
just an idea but maybe your engine has more then normal wear and tear so it takes longer to get up and going.how many ks has it got?has there been any major issues?

sounds like ignition lag.
i would check your glow plugs. probably one or more not working.

poor fuel will do the same. harder to ignite which really shows up when cold.
worn injectors will do the same. not spaying fine enough to get a good ignition when cold.
air leaks or clogged fuel filter can reduce injection timing which will make it poor in the cold.

2 stroke oil helps. it makes it really nice when cold.
also a good low winter grade oil. my 5w40 is far far better in the cold than my 15w40 (note- havn't tried it in the nissan yet).

Might have to just live with it then. I think I
Might go take another one for a test drive and see to be sure

from what you describe i would say there is something going on,yes there is a noticable difference when cold as expected,especialy with diesel, though i dont think its normal for it to want to stall going up a slight incline as described.also the rattle is a bit of a concern.
i have had to drive mine cold a few times being called to work early and what not,yes theres a difference but i wouldnt call it gutless,it will still climb a small hill just around the corner (30m from my driveway) from my place (problly 50 degree hill) without useing the excellirator.
just an idea but maybe your engine has more then normal wear and tear so it takes longer to get up and going.how many ks has it got?has there been any major issues?

Has 125k bought with 100, it's been the same since I bought it, only noticed really bad through this winter. Never really concerned untill I drove my mates ranger but then again that is a common rail

sounds like ignition lag.
i would check your glow plugs. probably one or more not working.

poor fuel will do the same. harder to ignite which really shows up when cold.
worn injectors will do the same. not spaying fine enough to get a good ignition when cold.
air leaks or clogged fuel filter can reduce injection timing which will make it poor in the cold.

2 stroke oil helps. it makes it really nice when cold.
also a good low winter grade oil. my 5w40 is far far better in the cold than my 15w40 (note- havn't tried it in the nissan yet).

Fuel filters 5k old as is oil. I'm thinking I might just change the glow plugs for s***s and giggles to see what difference it makes. Not too sure about 2 stroke in the diesel though. Always used vortex premuim since Id owned it

What ended up being the issue with this ZD30, mine is very similar. New engine, will hardly drive up slight incline until it's warmed up or have driven it up the street then is fine.

Back