ZD30 turbo specs

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boosted

Reaction score
Hi all

I have been looking high and low on the forum and cant find any specs on the Hitachi HT12. Im trying to get all the details on it to compare as im looking at putting another turbo on to get a bit more power and not have the risk of the turbo failing.

I currently have 2 Turbonetics T3 stage 1 turbos sitting around doing nothing and wanted to throw one onto my Nav

Here is the turbo
T3 Turbochargers | www.TurboneticsInc.com - Boosting Since 1978 | turbochargers, intercoolers, wastegates, blow-off valves, controls, boosting systems, turbo kits, forced induction parts & accessories

So I'm of the understanding that the factory turbo is crap. Having just replaced my turbo at a cost of $2800.00. Then, while I was up at Ingham on a job a bloke had an '06 Navara. Same deal. His turbo crapped itself. Wonder if there is a problem with the factory turbos?

reliability wise, apart from the odd one splitting the compressor wheel, they are just like any other turbo.
the biggest killer is not letting them cool down and running crap oil through them.
also fuel dilution of the engine oil is a killer which can be a problem on these if the injectors are not installed correctly.

performance wise, well thats a different story ;)

From what I have noticed with turbos failing from doing my research, yes oil can be a killer of them but the main 2 reasons I have noticed is -
1 the Navara is run very over fueled to start off with causing the rear wheel to gain to much heat and break off the fan blades. (A perfect example of this is my dad has a Toyota Soarer which of you who know a bit about them are renound for having thier turbos fail at any more than 14-15psi. My dad runs his at 32psi. The only reason he can do this is he runs the fuel at about 10-1 A/F making it run nice and cool helping the turbo stay together)

And 2 is that there is not enough flow through the motor to let the turbo spool down fast enough causing a back surge (dosing) through the turbo cause the front or rear wheels to be completly torn off.

This will probably cause a bit of debate but feel free to comment

are you taking about the same motor here ??

they are not over fueled, if anything they are under fueled in the low rpm range.
they don't seam to have turbine failures. mostly bearing/seal failure (sometimes causing compressor wheel failure) and a few where compressor wheels have broken in half for no apparent reason.

the Toyota Soarer is petrol engine so you can't compare it to diesels. diesels rarely run high enough egt's to damage turbines unlike petrol motors. also some soarers had ceramic turbo's which do break when you wind the boost up. there is steel turbine conversions for those turbo's.

all turbo's suffer from back surge, especially as the ZD30 has the butterfly valve which can cause it. however its not strong enough surge to even stall the turbo let alone break it. by the time surge does damage the turbo is pretty much stuffed anyway (typically bearing failure).

From what I have noticed with turbos failing from doing my research, yes oil can be a killer of them but the main 2 reasons I have noticed is -
1 the Navara is run very over fueled to start off with causing the rear wheel to gain to much heat and break off the fan blades. (A perfect example of this is my dad has a Toyota Soarer which of you who know a bit about them are renound for having thier turbos fail at any more than 14-15psi. My dad runs his at 32psi. The only reason he can do this is he runs the fuel at about 10-1 A/F making it run nice and cool helping the turbo stay together)

And 2 is that there is not enough flow through the motor to let the turbo spool down fast enough causing a back surge (dosing) through the turbo cause the front or rear wheels to be completly torn off.

This will probably cause a bit of debate but feel free to comment

petrols and diesels basically operate opposite to each other. on a petrol engine, too lean results in excessive heat and pinging (the fuel is burnt too quickly), but increases power, while running it richer reduces temperatures but also reduces power.

on a diesel running lean just reduces power (that's why newer diesels don't have throttle bodies, they just reduce fuel at either the injector pump or the ecu controls it), while running rich (turning up the injector pump or putting in a chip) increases heat and egt's, but also increases power.

diesels don't need a blow off or bypass valve generally because they don't have throttle bodies, so there in no sudden stopping of the air entering the intake manifold, on a gear change the turbo drops boost because the fuel is reduced when the pedal is let go (more fuel = more boost on a diesel, depending on the wastegate and the actual limit of the turbo) so boost is dropping as soon as you take the pedal off.

as tweak'e said, navara's if anything are under fueled. overfuelling can be seen in a diesel by excessive black smoke under acceleration (providing everything else is in good condition, injectors, etc) because too much fuel is being pumped in for the amount of air in the cylinders.

I know the basics of diesels. What I am trying to say is that the cooler you can keep your turbo the better. I have seen a lot of people putting chips on stock motors and blowing turbos, hence putting more fuel in to gain power and running higher EGTs. More flow = Lower EGTs. Im just trying to prevent the inevitable by either throwing a new turbo on or even upgrading the rear housing to a larger stock unit.

generally speaking you will blow pistons before you blow turbo's from high EGT's in diesels.

BOOSTED, mate how did you go with upgrading the turbo on your navara? did you find any useful information. My turbo has just crapped itself on the weekend and im tossing up my options..

Ive been look to see if the housings can be upgraded to a larger size while keeping the centre normal. Or even a bigger factory turbo to bolt up to the standard mounts

Ive been look to see if the housings can be upgraded to a larger size while keeping the centre normal. Or even a bigger factory turbo to bolt up to the standard mounts

Boosted none of the patrol turbo's will fit??? I am up in brisbane and I spoke to a guy during the week and he said to take it down to mike vine turbos apparently he does a fair few turbo diesel set ups. Might have a talk to him and see what i can find out.

I spoke to the one of the guys at mike vine turbos, He said they put in same size turbo as standard with billet wheel so the chances of breaking and going into the engine wont happen for $1190 or they do a complete new set up with an aftermarket garrett turbo all modified and installed for $4100. Didnt get too much information in depth but thats what i could find out over the phone.

Thats good to know about mike vine. They're doing a bit of work to my mates vk commo, might have to go down there with him next time and suss em out.

So any idea what a good upgrade from the hitachi would be? I would have thought the VGT on the Patrol ZD30 motor would be a good step (GT2052 I believe it is) but what else would be a good and easy swap from the 12-19B in the VGT area?

Latest posts

Back