Navara clutch issues?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

have you had clutch issues?

• yes

Votes: 78 45.3%
  • no

Votes: 94 54.7%

• Total voters

Peter70

Reaction score
I hear so much about clutch problems with Navara's i was just curious how many manual owners here have had problems. I ask this because i have had no such problems in 50,000k's with a large amount of it towing a 2500kg boat behind it.
If you have had problems what actually failed and what did Nissan do/say about it.

I have only done 8,000kms so I wouldnt expect any for a little while yet. They do whack out a few hp so if and when it plays up I will not be going back to nissan to try and get them to sort it, I will be putting a good aftermarket one straight in.

My mate has gone through 2 clutches in his D40. Cars only 8 months old.

He drives like a dick though, doesnt tow much.

Thought id chuck my 2cents worth.

130,000km's on my D22 now. No issue's.

Changed the oil for the first time since I have had the ute over the weekend. My mechanic usually does it but cant get me in for a month.

I hate working on car's.

Dave.

Last edited by a moderator:
My mate has gone through 2 clutches in his D40. Cars only 8 months old.

He drives like a dick though, doesnt tow much.

Thought id chuck my 2cents worth.

Down low is a bit of an issue and i wonder whether this is contributing to some of the failures.

Down low is a bit of an issue and i wonder whether this is contributing to some of the failures.

I think its got somthing to do with the constant high speed doughnuts in empty lakes.

My brother and I ride bike aswell and he will keep up with us in the D40 down some fucking hairy trails. He drives like an idioit and we suspected thats why he has burnt them out.

Is low an issue in most D40s or just few.

Ah yeah ok, I think maybe Peter70 was saying that because of the lack of low down torque we have be more aggressive with it to get them off the line, hence harder on the clutches. I could be wrong though. A lot of the hilux guys complain about this too.

Ah yeah ok, I think maybe Peter70 was saying that because of the lack of low down torque we have be more aggressive with it to get them off the line, hence harder on the clutches. I could be wrong though. A lot of the hilux guys complain about this too.

Thats exactly what i meant Matt.
If i let mates pull my boat out up a ramp, there is really only a couple that can jump straight in and make it happen. The others put unecessary stress on clutch. Its just lacking off the mark with low down torque and can catch someone out who's probably not very mechanically minded.

i have had a clutch replaced. Noticed soft from day one and made not on every service at 60,000kms was thinking of selling so had new one put in... no flywheel needed, cover plate had 3 weird fingers on it that were not the same as the others.. bent in a little. new one has same feeling and no dramas..

it would be interesting to see what year the vehicles where that blew clutches.

i know of a few over here and heaps on the UK forum. all D40's, D22's seam to be fine.
heard rumor that Nissan changed the clutch at some point.

i think it has a lot to do with how people launch it off the line. heard of a few comments of people kept stalling the D40 so i can imagine they probably resorted to getting the revs up and ridding the clutch to get it off the line. more so if doing stop start manoeuvring with load on.

No problems so far with 35000 kms on the clock. I tow a few of our work trailers around from time to time and do it easy. They weigh in about 1.5 - 2tonne each.

Lets hope that talking about it doesn't bring anything on.....:no:

heard of one fella with a d40 on his 3rd clutch @ 40,000. he's old and from what i have been told most of what his nav does is reserving a trailer in and out of his shed and probably slips the f*&k out of it. never seen him drive so can't be sure but he says it's not abuse.

i questioned metro nissan when i bought mine and i was told that they were a few isolated cases in past years with the d40's but apparently the clutch had been revised in the series 3's, dunno when series 3 started but mines nov 08 build, feb 09 compliance & delivery and it's s-3. heard other vehicles in this particular market have the odd clutch drama when running 6-sp manual so hopefully nothing to worry about

I seem to hear most of the metro dealers or dealers who sell lots of commercials are still doing a D40 clutch about once a month for each dealer. Mostly diesels but they sell mostly diesels too I guess. I also hear the flywheels are near impossible to get and on back order in Spain at this point in time. I suspect it is the loose nut behind the wheel causing most failures. I did see one that was destroyed at 1800klm so not sure if the bloke was mad/stupid or it was crook from the factory. I think they say no towing for 1500klm but I think that would be more engine related recommendation than clutch.

Last edited:
I think they say no towing for 1500klm but I think that would be more engine related recommendation than clutch.

always a possibility due to the bedding in process, 1500klm would be excessive for that though.
wanker drivers would be more to blame!

Latest posts

Back