Navara clutch issues?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

have you had clutch issues?

• yes

Votes: 78 45.3%
  • no

Votes: 94 54.7%

• Total voters
i did a clutch at 40000 and they wound up replacing it and the fly wheel. they did'nt want to but a bit of sweet talking:) did the trick

had my 10,000klm service done today at metro nissan windsor.

touch wood, no dramas with mine but in the interest of the forum i asked if there had been any clutch issues with the new model d40's. the response was no. he went on to tell me that there had been issues with earlier models but with the apparent revisions he wouldn't expect any failures. hopefully not just telling me what i wanted to hear but lets see what time says?

Clutch

Whatever you do don't root the clutch and flywheel on the V6.
Saw a car today with a buggered clutch. Flywheel is over 2.5k and clutch and flywheel together was over 3.5k and that does not include labour. :bike:

25,000 and there is a problem. It shudders when taking off and first to second is a cunk and like a sudden grab then its ok through the rest. Changing down is shuddery again. really weird clutch problem. Its going in this week.

As far sa taking off in these things, it seems that you need more revs when on a hill as the turbo is not on and it stalls with a violent clunk. you can not hill take off with normal revs as there is no talk, rev it up and get the turbo lag taken up and you run the risk of clutch failure.

D40 will eat clutches because of the low torque off idle, on a bit of a hill you need 1500+ revs to prevent stalling. It seems that MY06 had a lot of problems with flywheel failure.
I've done hard 35000ks, still on the original, I've had the clutch smoking a few times, especially in soft sand, they just aren't strong enough to handle the torque.

Our new Jeep is detuned to 410Nm whilst the auto is 460Nm, I suspect this would be related to the clutch not been strong enough too. I

My flywheel and clutch was replaced at 40000 under warranty,i didn't know there was an issue but i put it in for sevice and dealer called me and told me there was abnormal noise coming from the clutch area and they needed to remove the gearbox.
70000km later the clutch is fine.

I, like "flashum1" have a 2008 plated, March 2009 registered D40. I spent a lot of time with the dealer questioning him in regards to the "Clutch problems" I had been reading about. He was adamant they had fixed the problems, & my concerns have been documented for my peace of mind in case there were any future problems.
I was more than happy with that response, & I have now done 15,000K's, a little bit of towing my 1.8t van, lots of stop start city driving of late & have not had any issues.
I was originally going to buy the auto, as my wife had not driven a manual for 20 years, but after we drove the 6 speed manual, both of us prefered it over the "Slush box" (Sorry about that you "Auto" guys).
Cheers, Phil

well.. iv had one clutch replaced under warranty (30000kms). And its going back to nissan next week because its on its way out again (45000kms).

I have a love/hate relationship with my car.. it spends half its life at nissan.

My father has a series 1 D40 6 speed diesel. From the first day he felt something not quite right about the clutch. After towing a tool trailer and doing a house move, the clutch was on its way out. Every time in reverse with a trailer, you could smell the clutch really bad - no matter how it was driven.
Replaced.
6 months later, he's noticing similar issues. It is a very weak clutch, and you have to be very careful with it especially when towing.
He has been more careful with this second clutch, and now out of warranty, but not happy at all with it.
I own a d22 and I commonly have trouble with the D40 clutch (well, in dads anyway!).
Cany anyone confirm a different clutch in the later models?

Got some great news...... :( clutch has shit itself after 80, 000 and because the navara has got a dual mass flywheel i think thats what it is called it makes it a $$$ collector, u cant re machine them its a replace with a new one.. so yeah $2000 for a new clutch, i think i know where tax money is going

Brand new 2010 D40 manual, had the Clutch & Flywheel replaced at 2600. Bad Vibration from new & got worse, Nissan have the car again as after I pickd it up, the problem is still there. Nissan told me there are has been a bad batch of Flywheels in the new models.
Hopefully the problem will be resolved soon.

approx 23000 kms in my D40 (plated sept 2009) and not problems yet.

I have done a fair bit of towing from the day i picked the car up - just nursed it for the first 2K and then did a big trip up to QLD towing a heavily loaded campter trailer (5K odo start and 11K odo finish roughly)

tow's the 1.2t boat very nicely, and love the low range 1st gear at the boat ramp - change back to 2h at top of ramp before turning away from ramp area.

I have about 37,000 km on my truck (D40, 2007 model, 4x4) running 33" tires and no problem so far (knock on wood).

PS: My warranty just expired so I'm curious to see when and what will go wrong (that's if it happens)!

Clutch went on my 08 d40 with 86000 on the clock, dont stuff around put solid fly wheel in and heavy duty clutch a little more noisy but heaps better!!!

D40 clutch issues

I have 65,000km on a 2007 D40 and my clutch is a worry. Very high peddle engage/disengage. Just out of warranty! Just about to do around Oz trip. Is it worth doing a standard clutch kit on it or should I pay the big bucks and get rid of the dual mass flywheel?

Bought used D40 2 weeks ago 100 000k's 07 model took on beach yesterday and clutch smoked up had to limp home 3 hour drive. Nissan wont cover used car warranty, quotes starting at 2000, Debating on another crap dual clutch or to go solid clutch. Have been told there is rubber between clutch plate and fly wheel that's why the bad smell and smoke when clutch is labouring. First happened 16th Jan on a rock climb, smell eventually stopped and has been fine driving to work until took onto beach yesterday where it croaked. I earn $11 an hour as a 4th year apprentice and cant afford clutch.
Also hear with solid clutch can impact on bearings in motor thats why they put the rubber in to introduce it to the fly wheel.
Anyone got any advise please.
My Dad has a Hilux and wanted me to go toyota now I know why!

Just got off phone from mechanic.... Nissan have apparently trailed the new solid clutch from a company in Australia, and are very happy with it. lol I reckon they would be... from what I have been reading on the internet if you need clutch help contact Brendan at Ultimate Suspension at Ingleburn on 96037677. Tell him you are from the Nissan forum and he will look after you. Now I just have to find the money...

180,000 km so far.......no clutch problems.
I must admit, I use low range on the boat ramp and steep driveways due to the hole in the torque curve low down.
I guess I've done about 50,000 km with the boat on the back, but its only 700kg total.

Latest posts

Back