Solar hot water ?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Dave

Ok, the electric one is getting sad. I have fixed it once as it blew the seal around the element and thermo switch.

Anyone changed over to the solar one's.

Since the goverment are iving up to $4,000 to go solar, I think there a good buy.

Any plumber's got recommendation's ?

Dave.

Hi Dave, as a Plumber I hate to recomend anything that I would not have myself. I installed a Dux Solar Lo-line 315litre hot water heater at my house and am happy enough with it's performance. Another unit I would be happy to have used is the Edwards solar HWS as they are a quality unit. At the end of the day i diddnt want the water tank on my roof so I whent with the Lo-Line. Sorry if that sounded clinical!

Cheers Brad

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont worry about Bosch, not what I am after.
Yep don't worry about Bosch!!!! Dux, Edwards, Rheem, Solarhart are all good brands. Around your area I'd be going with whoevere has the most confidence in their product when it comes to freeze protection! Those early morning frosts can be the biggest killer of solar water heaters, but I'm fairly certain most units can cope quite well with heavy frosts these days!

Brad

Cheers Brad.

Should be finished work earlier tomorrow, skull 2 black V's and Ill get a chance to go check em out.

Thank's for the info.

Dave.

Dave
I have had an Edwards system on my roof (with the tank up there) for the last 4 years with no problems at all. I had the same setup on my previous house for 10 years also with no problems and to my knowledge is still running fine with the new owners. Only mishap was when number two son was practising his golf chip shots, golf ball from height broke the glass on the collector. Would certainly get another if the need arises.
Paul

I've got a chromagen unit on my roof, I believe this is one of the cheaper units on the market but I haven't had any problems so far and it has the same warranty as the bigger names. I only got the roof type because I wanted more room down the side of the house for reversing my boat and driving vehicles down to the shed. The heat pumps are another alternative but from what I've researched they are noisy, not as efficient and prone to breakages not long out of their warranty period.

I've got a chromagen unit on my roof, I believe this is one of the cheaper units on the market but I haven't had any problems so far and it has the same warranty as the bigger names. I only got the roof type because I wanted more room down the side of the house for reversing my boat and driving vehicles down to the shed. The heat pumps are another alternative but from what I've researched they are noisy, not as efficient and prone to breakages not long out of their warranty period.

We've also got a roof mounted Chromagen which was fitted when our house was built. We didn't know much about solar systems at the time and relied on the builder to select a unit. It's been running for over two years now and we've had no problems at all with it.
Dean

Oi Brad talked to the pumber about the system. He doesn't wanna mount the panel's as it's a 2 storey house.

I have a couple of mates who are roofer's and rigger's/Dogman so we are gonna mount the panel's and get him to do the rest.

Question though, around the existing system there a few pipes with "pin holes" as old mate said, what causes that ?

There is a earth bond around that area.

Dave.

Thats a bit slack, I'd have done the whole job... As long as you go with a reputable brand, with a decent waranty and have it installed by a licenced plumber they're all pretty good to be honest. All hot water systems wear out over time, its inevitable.

The pin holes, could be electrolosis, could be "hard water" i.e. mineral rich, or it could just be age, how did he identify them?

Sorry Dave for the late reply, diddn't see this one come up again!
Yeah getting the things onto two storey houses can be a little daunting at times, a bit of a confidence thing. AS far as pin holes go it's usually caused from hard water or any form of "stretching" the copper ie. bends, dents, expanded welded joins etc. Normally a time thing but, depending on water hardness and guage of copper can happen quickly.

Yakka and Brad, sorry I forgot about this thread.

System was installed on thursday and friday and cost $6554 in total, got a mate to wire it up aswell. Thank !@#$ for brick cavities and the trustie snake.

The pipe that was said to have pin holes dried up after the old semi leaking system got removed.

Had the electric side on friday night and haven't used the electrics since.

Ended up getting the 3 Panel 410L Rheem, overkill yeah but to big i better then to small.

After rebates should get back about $4500, the system was dearer as we kept the tank under the house and the panels are on the roof. For some reason the house has a 300 x 300 hole from the roof to under the house which the plumbers loved.

Anyways thanks again for the advice.

Dave.

Bigger is better Dave, if I were to put another one in here at home I'd be installing a 400l/3 panel as well! It's all good then :victory:

Update. Its been over 7 months and we have only used the electricity twice.

All the lights in the house are energy efficient globes and the power bill hasn't changed.

NSW the tax state and there are 3 power stations 50km's from my place and the power is still redicously expensive.

Dave.

No idea what it was put there for but its bloody handy for running cables.

The guy who built the house built about 10 others in the street but our place he lived in and so it got bteer arcitraves etc.

Dave.

Latest posts

Back