Siringo's 285's Thread with Pics

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siringo

Reaction score
I searched and read but never found enough info on whether you could run 285/75x16 tyres on...
1) A D40 with only the normal 2" suspension lift
2) Standard D40 rims

So I've started this thread so others may get some useful info and see for themselves.

Here's what I've done so far.

I've got a set of 285/75x16 BFG muddies. BFG's are reknowened for being a 'tall' tyre. Anyway, these tyres have about 5000 K's on 'em so they're not real worn.

This is what I've found so far.

This is my D40 King Cab with a 2" Tough Dog sus lift and stock rims and tyres (20,000 k's on the tyres):

255-1.jpg

Here's a pic of the height difference between 255's and 285's:

difference-1.jpg

Here's a pic of the 285 fitted to the stock steel spare wheel rim:

285-1.jpg

To be continued...

This is what happens with a bit of 'right hand down':

touching-1.jpg

Yep, it touches...

So you remove the mudguard:

remove-guard.jpg

Yes, still too close, but it's not touching.

What's behind the plastic?

cut-away-1-1.jpg

Not much. Nothing infact. All that guff behind the plastic is there to hold the neat looking trim and mudflap. I'd prefer to run bigger tyres, so a simple bit of bodywork will allow that. It's actuially a bit deceiving looking at the pics, because the tyre only rubs on the very corner/edge of the panel work/sill panel. So that simple cutting will actually end up giving me 1-2 inches of clearance.

If you cut back from that inner/smaller circle backwards, that's where you'll get clearance for your tyre.

A bit more info ...

When you're out on the tracks, you'll notice that your body will squirm around quite a bit, much more than on the road, it'll squirm around more than you think it could and then return back to normal, so when you're offroad, keep an ear out for rubbing noises.

But from I've seen so far, 285/75x16's can be run on stock rims with a 2" sus lift. I hope this helps someone.

Just a little bit more info ..

The panel work shown in that inner circle actually points forward, or in other words, towards the tyre. Why? Who would know, but it's dumb!

More later..

Last edited:
Thanks Dave.

Yesterday I put the Navara up on a lump of limestone we have laying around. I put the right hand side front lower than the left hand side so she was leaning well over. Then I applied a bit of right hand down as shown above. Although I haven't cut into the bottom of the guards yet and removed that section shown by the red circles, I could tell that when I do and the vehicle is on a lean like that, it should not rub.

There's quite a bit of guard that can be removed right in that red circle, that when done, will give you up to 3" of clearance.

So from this you can see that it is possible to fit 285's to a D40 with a standard 2" lift and use the stock rims*, well I can to mine anyway.

* Obviously lifts and tyres are different, some tyres will bulge more, some lifts wont be at the height mine has settled at.

More later..

thanks for this mate, the details and photos has really helped, i was going to see if the tyre shop would put the 285 on for me so i could have a look at this same thing, saved me so much time ,

my verdict with cutting that little bit out and a body lift the 285's will fit easy as, im also planing on putting a spacer in the suspension lift to so should clean no worries.

again thanks heaps for the write up.

thanks for this mate, the details and photos has really helped, i was going to see if the tyre shop would put the 285 on for me so i could have a look at this same thing, saved me so much time ,

my verdict with cutting that little bit out and a body lift the 285's will fit easy as, im also planing on putting a spacer in the suspension lift to so should clean no worries.

again thanks heaps for the write up.

No problem, glad I could help.

No problem, glad I could help.

Thanks also.
Cut back the offending piece about 1.5 inch back with a grinder, then refashioned the plastic inner guard to suit the new shape (secured with a zip tie and a new hole under the wing and original lower self tapper) Looks neat enough....

Did you have to heat gun the shape of the guard at all? Trying to get everything ready before I fit the tyres...
Cheers

can u show me a pic of the guard after u had finished just so i can get a rough what it should look like cheers

I don't understand much about tyres and wheels, but if I was to have 20" wheels with 285 tyres would the clearance stay the same? (With 2" of suspension lift of course)

Dose it scrub out much when 4x4 I'm trying to get 33's with a 2" lift but I do a fair bit of 4x4ing
I don't no if I should get 32's or try and do 33's ... Any info would be grate cheers mate

mate what do you figure about fitting those with a stock bumper????

i may have a line on some cheapy second handers off a guy at work

Thank you Siringo

Fantastic write up, GOOD ON YA MATE!
I'm planning to use all your useful suggestions and tips for my second set of tyres.
Do you think, by your experience, that I would be able to fit 305/70 (same diameter as 285/75) with a a bit of offset by just doing a bit of body trim or they would still rub up?
Thanks mate

same thing here (stock bumper) will the front mud flap removal be enough or will it need a haircut

i removed both front mud flaps in the end before i got my muddies fitted.used a 2.5" spacer lift kit (perfect lift) cheap but does my job.not much clearance but its all good here on my thai 08 king cab.

Hi guys. I've got a ST Dual Cab (Spain) with 2in OME Lift and ARB Deluxe Combo Bar. I'm trying to fit BF Goodrich 285/75/R16 KM2s.
As far as I'm aware they will fit front end with a bit of tinkering. I noticed that the bracket for the bar with more than likely scrub the tyres on 3/4 lock and the guard will probably also foul at 3/4 lock as well.
I imagine cutting the bracket up to the chassis will be ok but how much of the guard will I need to cut away?
Siringo or anyone else out there please help me!?!?!

On the bottom of the guard, the edge facing the ground, I think went about 2" bac towards the door and then marked a gentle line up towards the wheel arch.

I was most concerned with leaving as many mud flap mounting holes behind as possible. Maybe that is your best guide as to how much panel to chop off??

do you think removing the mud flaps, and then heating up and massaging the plastic inners out of the way would be as effective as cutting them?
i'd love to fit 33s on mine without having to spend more on the suspension, though i'd like to mount them on the standard 17 inch alloys which i think would make the tyre a 285/70r17

Qld laws state according to the copper that pulled me over and gave me a warning for not having a mudflap that i ripped off that it's illegal not to have them fitted but i never researched it maby he was being a prick but also would you not cop stone chips from those huge boots?.

Latest posts

Back