Front wheels locked together when in 4x4

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cecdan

Reaction score
i took the car out on the weekend when i went up a hill and then I couldnt go any further. when i got pulled out i found that i couldnt go into 4x4 because both wheels would lock up and not spin. this happenes in high and low range. I can lock 1 wheel and let the other spin and it goes in 3 wheel drive but as soon as i engage the other hub the front wheels just lock up and the car will not move on.

Any ideas on what has broken or happened ??

ok is there a way of telling that its a chain or could it be the diff because i engage 1 front wheel but as soon as its both it just locks up the 2 front tires

It sounds like there's a problem with the front diff. If it's being turned over in any way the transfer chain might be okay.

Jack the car up so that both front wheels are off the ground. Engage both front hubs and turn over the LEFT front wheel as if the car was going forward. Which way does the right wheel turn?

Is there any noise from the front diff?

When I turn the left wheel I can here a chain noise from the transfer case. I the other wheel will also turn in the same direction then nothing then the same direction. Can I ask why the left wheel not the right ??

I had to choose one wheel. I thought - and Dion could correct me here - if both wheels were off the ground, turning one wheel forward would make the other turn backward (by virtue of the gears in the diff).

You might have a stretched transfer chain as well. That usually happens when you drive on firm surfaces in any 4WD mode.

thats what i thought if you turn one wheel the other one goes in a opposite direction but instead its turning with it and then like its slipping and then it turns again. Now is hi and low in the gearbox or is it in the transfer because i can rear wheel drive in hi and low and there is no problem. i have also notice my 4x4 light doesnt come on any more. Maybe your right its a diff and chain problem.

Just to let everyone no that it was the transfer case and it was giving me all these other headaches that was confusing the shit out of me. I picked up a gearbox and transfer with 80K on it for 400 and then changed it tonight and it took about 5 hours but now the car runs sweet

Good stuff , glad you got it sorted. Ive had my gearbox out a couple of times and with a 2" body lift make the job a lot easier to access bolts.

Good on ya for letting everyone know what it was.
It shits me when im following a thread and someone gets advice or help and then doesnt get back once theyve sorted it so we can all learn something.

400$ is damn good for a gearbox and transfer.Where in Perth are you sourcing your parts? All the wreckers ive rung would want a first born child.Ive sent you a pm.
Cheers
Charlie

any chance of splitting the transfer so we can know what part exactly is busted? if you can take some pics im sure it will be helpful to others.
:cheers!:
Nathan

Last edited:
Old.Tony said:
I'm interested in how the transfer case caused the wheels to work the way they did. I was playing with a differential today and they just don't do that!

Agreed. I fail to see how the transfer case would cause that issue.

Agreed. I fail to see how the transfer case would cause that issue.

yep im confused as well, that's why i asked if he could take some pics of the problem. If it can be shown to me how the transfer makes both wheels turn in one direction, i will definitely have learned something..:hmmmm:

......... unless his transfer is somehow bypassing the diff via two direct drive shafts and driving individual wheels :sarcastic:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back