Should I be concerned?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddogrc

Reaction score
hey all,
was doing a filter clean today as i was in the bush yesterday.

i took my whole filter unit off from the turbo and looked into the intake. i could see a fair bit of black oil residue as usual from the breather/return tube from the top of the engine bit (forgot the name of it right now).

i stuck my finger up the return tube after taking it off from the turbo inlet and when i pulled my finger out it was covered in a shitload of dried up millimeter thick carbon gunk.

is this normal or is it time to go knocking at nissans door?

cheers,
george

ps. can get photos if needed.

i know all that stuff, but is it still normal for thick carbon crud to be coming out?

no.

sounds like a lot of dirt is getting past the air filter.
remote possibility of wrong oil used and is being cooked onto the surface, tho i would expect motor to be dead from that by now.

small sample i scraped off my finger and theres PLENTY more where that came from.

that piece is about 8mm long, and 3-5mm thick, 2mm high, just so you get an idea for size

p7260033.jpg

got any pics of it in the housing?
what about the filter? got pics of the filter and housing?

i would also check under the oil filler cap and on the dipstick. if its bad oil it may stick to them.

i still reckon its dirt getting past the filter. what sort of filters have been used? no highflow filters?

inside the filter housing is clean

the tube from filter to turbo inlet is dust/dirt free

the filter is the stock paper type which was cleaned/checked at the service.

no pics of inside the turbo inlet now, and really cbf to take the filter off again, lol

got a catch can?
mayby its leaking and sucking dirty air in?

the tube from filter to turbo inlet is dust/dirt free
so what part is the gunk on?
do you mean the gunk in the intake manifold?

if you take off the WHOLE filter unit, including the large rubber bend that goes from the filter box to the turbo intake, and then look into the turbo inlet you can see black residue covering a decent amount of the surface.

the gunk itself is coming from the hole in the turbo where the breather for the crank case goes to. i took the crank case breather hose itself off and looked in there only to see a lining all in the tube of that clumpy carbon crud.

get what i mean?

What does the bottom of the oil filler cap look like? The same?

I know where you mean, I'm going to check mine on the weekend and maybe chuck a catch can in.

i get ya. your setup is a little bit different to the 3 litre motors.

that sounds a lot like baked oil in the breather tube. take the breather tube off and wash it out. if lots of crud comes out its cooked oil.
check under oil filler cap and dipstick, i hope its not baked oil due to wrong oil used.
if none in breather pipe and only crud in just before turbo then its dust from airfilter.

thats bullshit

i shouldnt have to fit aftermarket stuff because nissan got it wrong and is causing my engine to shit itself by making baked up oil go through the turbo.

think it might be time to go make a lil complaint and show them what came out of it.

try taking an oil sample and getting it checked, it will tell you if there are any contaminants or wear, I can assist via post with this if you like?
oil sample kits / diagnosis cost around $30 obviously plus postage as I am in Brisbane.
it can take alot of guess work out your diagnosis.
if you are near a truck engine manufacturer they will also be able to assist as they sell sample kits and handle the diagnosis cycle.
I also noticed you have your air filter cleaned, make sure it isn't being blown out with compressed air!
this can spread the paper media apart allowing larger than acceptable particles of dirt and such through, hence causing engine damage, alhough it is unlikely to be your present problem.
i am assuming you have owned this vehicle from new by your signature, but if not, make sure all services have been carried out within allocated time/milage. running oil too long can cause this, as will using the incorrect grade of oil, both things nissan are probably going to ask you unless the dealer has been doing ALL your work!

good luck!

truck engine builders? got no idea who in perth builds truck engines, lol.

hmm, i'm just wondering what nissan are gonna say if i take it to them and show them.

though another question is, did this happen with the new or old oil? i never checked inside the hose til now and thats only cause the oil residue in the intake seemed a bit thicker.

problem after problem i reckon.

if i do the oil test and it turns out they've put the wrong oil in i'm getting on nissans ass for a new engine, and if they say no HELLO ACCC!

Latest posts

Back