fitting Auxillary power to the tub

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tills

Reaction score
I was just thinking about putting an auxillary power outlet in the tub near the tail gate wired up through the tail light and bolt on a two socket plug.
I was thinking of running it directly from the battery using 6mm wire with a fuse at the battery so I can have power there all times for camping light and some times a fridge. I have just invested in a 60lt ARB fridge with a low voltage cut off so when the battery gets dowm to 11.8 volts the fridge will stop so I can still start it. Does this sound all right or have some of you have a few more sugestions. In the future I will put in an isolator and a second battery but funds limit that at the moment.
Cheers

Tills

Save up the reddies and do it all in one hit, better to put all the effort into the system you'll want to use rather than do two jobs where the second one eliminates the need for the first one anyway.

100 AH Battery and decent isolator shouldn't set you back much more than $300 total (definitely less if you can get mates rates on things), if it were me I'd wait till that much was available rather than spend money on a system to run the fridge off the main battery and risk dropping the cranking voltage too low for the car.

It may be worth remembering that 11.8volt may be your fridge cut out but is it enough to crank the car over, also you'd want to be fairly sure before you went anywhere that your fridge would not get that battery close to that level for as many hours as you think you need it on for.

Fridges usually have a AH rating but take into consideration opening and closing of the fridge often enough will make the compressor work harder to maintain the set temp, lights also draw current and it's a lot to risk for not being able to start the car in the middle of no where to come home.

Otherwise yes it will work with such a basic install.

Yeah be carefull. 11.8v might sound like enough to crank the engine. But that is 11.8volts on a current draw of about 4 amps. Cranking a cold diesel engine will be order of hundreds of amps and inrush current (that first click of the starter:) more than that. It wont be seeing 11.8volts under those conditions.

I wouldn't use 6mm cable, I'd go to 8mm just to make sure it's not going to give me too much drama.

You might get away with it once or twice, but starter batteries hate being deeply discharged and their lifespan is shortened every time you do it.

I would go for it for now, but asap get the second battery installed in the back.

i second craftys advice... I have a waco 40 lt and on a hot day they will run a fair bit. The standard battery is under a lot of load already running all on board electronics so the addition of a fridge would flatten in no time. running the fridge of the standard battery would be ok while traveling. but when you arive at your destination you would need alternative power.

Latest posts

Back