Lift, Tough dog or OME

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banga

Reaction score
After months of deliberation i've finally decided to take the plunge into a 2 inch suspension lift.
My choices have come down to; tough dog foam cell shocks and tough dog springs install for $1920, or old man emu shocks and dobinson springs for $2400 installed.
I have an alloy tray and ute weighs about 2.8t, i have a mate with the identicle ute/tray/weight and he went for OME 400kg leaves and shocks and ended up having to add 2 extra leaves to the pack.
I know the tough looks appealing price wise but have heard a few poor stories about them, and have not heard much negative stuff on OME or dobinson.
Any advice please.

Try a search mate, this question has been asked a dozen times now, but too answer your question, I would go tough dog, and I did. OME Are good but I believe over priced and I haven't had any trouble with my tough dog kit and recon there just as good as OME.
Also tough dog go up too a 500kg spring so you probably won't need too get leafs added.

Last edited:
I just put Tough Dog in mine. I got adjustable shocks, heavy springs on the front and 300-GVM packs in the rear. It's pretty hard, I had the shocks set on the middle setting (5) to begin with but started getting a sore back just driving on the street. I now have them set at the softest and it's not too bad. The only issue I get is the harshness when going over horrible bunnings speed humps (little small ones with square edges). It handles pretty good in the little bit of sand I have been in on the beach since getting it installed. I think it was around the $2K mark with the adjustable shocks in it from Opposite Lock. The rear sits pretty high and I have a canopy and solid timber drawer system that probably weighs ~200KG. Thinking of coil spacers up from to level it out a bit.

One more option i have is full ultimate suspension kit installed for $2175

+1 for the ULTIMATE SUSPENSION great service, great warranty (life time on the springs), and rebuild-able shocks. performance is awesome on and off the black top. I have never herd a bad thing about them and recommend them to anyone.

I've a set of Tough Dog adjustable struts & springs complete & rear shocks (no leaf springs) i'll take $900 for the lot, done 35,000km on my king cab, fit em yourself, i'll even throw in the ball joint splitter thing (retail $12, generous aren't I)!

I got my kit from Zordo, was $1700 plus $45 for freight I think.

gdunkley84 said:
I just put Tough Dog in mine. I got adjustable shocks, heavy springs on the front and 300-GVM packs in the rear. It's pretty hard, I had the shocks set on the middle setting (5) to begin with but started getting a sore back just driving on the street. I now have them set at the softest and it's not too bad. The only issue I get is the harshness when going over horrible bunnings speed humps (little small ones with square edges). It handles pretty good in the little bit of sand I have been in on the beach since getting it installed. I think it was around the $2K mark with the adjustable shocks in it from Opposite Lock. The rear sits pretty high and I have a canopy and solid timber drawer system that probably weighs ~200KG. Thinking of coil spacers up from to level it out a bit.

Mate I would drop back too the 300kg rear springs, not the 300+GMV. I did and it made a huge difference too the ride, mine was way to stiff even with the shocks on the lowest setting. I have a canopy and a set of drifter draws in the tray and it was still too stiff. A canopy only weighs about 35 - 40 kg, my draws weigh 45kgs then probably about 50kg of gear in them, that's only about 135kg then when I go away camping I have a fridge loaded is about 35kg and the esky another 30kg, then the ball weight of the camper is 100kgs and I've only just made the 300kg, let alone 300+ kg. Try dropping back one level in spring. It will level out the car too so the ass ends not up in the air.

In the end i've gone for the ultimate suspension 2 inch lift kit for $2000 installed, it's booked for next thursday.

In the end i've gone for the ultimate suspension 2 inch lift kit for $2000 installed, it's booked for next thursday.

Good choice i think...... im sure you will be a happy camper. I have done over 40k on mine now and going strong, no sagging, no squeaks, its all good.
I will be keen to see what you think all the same.

Iv put the sax suspension under my d40 nav and I couldn't be happier the rear springs are very adjustable and the ride is great I use it around the farm and the difference is amazing price was good to ,about 1,800 great service to. bigger al

Latest posts

Back