Diff lockers

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rentay

Reaction score
Hi all,

Been doing some reading and calling around, and am wanting to know some people place air lockers both front and rear in their vehicles.

Is this necessary to do considering the D22 has a good lsd rear end?

Is a front locker all that is necessary?

Regards,

Just putting in a front locker is a good thing, but you could still have trouble with a single rear wheel lifting and spinning. As that wheel comes down, it grabs and transfers the momentum (or kinetic energy) into the drive train. As the LSD bites, you have the same problem as you can have with the front diff.

The difference is in the strength - the rear diff + axle is stronger than the front, so a front locker is protecting the weaker side. Doesn't mean you can forget about the rear diff, but certainly a look at the front first isn't a bad choice.

Putting a locker in the rear does allow you to have the rear diff locked in 2WD mode, which might be useful too. The vehicle won't bind up as much as it would in 4WD with both diffs locked, although if you do experience binding, you should be asking yourself if you need to be in 4WD at all - but that's a different topic!

Thanks for the response Old.Tony,

I am going to install a front air locker, but might even consider a rear air locker aswell!

Regards,

Can you put a locker in the front of a d22? I thought the diff had to be swapped to a r200 or something?

Can you put a locker in the front of a d22? I thought the diff had to be swapped to a r200 or something?

no you dont have to swap the diff, there are a few options for the D22, Air, auto ect

I have an auto lokka in the front of mine and it is awesome. The main reason I went for the auto one is mainly price as I paid under $900 fitted and I know the air lockers are will over $1000 before you even look at fitting costs.

I am now looking into a steering dampener as the lokka makes it a bit of a different drive but I find if I just chuck it back into 2wd but leave the hubs locked in when I am not on the harder stuff it is all good.
I would have loved to have been able to fit an air locker or E locker but the costs that are involved put it out of my range, now I have more to spend on other things like a power chip and stuff.

The thing I like about the Autolockers in the front is once u learn how to drive with them in the front u can still turn around corners a lot easier than if u had airLockers.... it all comes down to your right foot as to how easy u can turn around corners

Latest posts

Back