Brake Rotors stuffed at 42,000 kms

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NavaraPhill

Reaction score
Just replaced my brake pads and rotors at 42,000kms ! Apparently a common problem with Navara D40's. Nssan blame your "driving style" and will have nothing to do with it. They quoted me close to $1000 to replace them with the same crap rotors GRRRR,
I got new Bendix 4WD pads and Rotors for half that fitted !
Has anyone had similar story with Rotors ??

I blame driving style too but then I'm just a party pooper who still had more than 50% pad left at my 40k service.

But yes plenty of people complain about the pads and rotors on D40's, although there is more people coming out now stating heaps more than 40K than there used to be.

Though there is huge variances in the metalurgical composition of rotors and pad materials used by all the vehicle manufacturers and for various reasons....ultimately its driving style that dictates how long they will last.

tons of reports of D40's being hard on brakes.
especially when you compare it to the D22 that will do over 200,000k before changing pads and probably 400,000 before changing disks.

Yeah there's been reports of rotors too hence the many people who claim to have heard the story but there is also plenty who haven't replace rotors and plenty who haven't done either pads or rotors. Like everything bad news travels faster than good and if you believe every bad story you hear about a product you'd never buy anything.

Mine rotors were changed at 65k and DBA(disc brakes Australia) rotors fitted.
At 220k the DBA rotors are ready to be changed.
Mine is a manual,i've heard of auto's chewing through the rotors faster.
I reckon the rear brakes don't do enough work,they are all original in my ute.

hmm im about to hit 200ks and rarely tow. I still have original rotors ..their little bit ripple from rocks but still got a bit of life left...

I had my rotors replaced at my 40K service - they were stuffed. We do a LOT of towing and love forest trails, where you are braking a lot. Because I have a Tekonsha Voyager brake controller and not a Prodigy P3, I have to dial it back and compensate by using the car's brakes more, so I'm usually braking for 4.3 to 4.6T. That's because the Voyager doesn't automatically adjust for different gradients of road.

That said, my replacement rotors (not Nissan ones) are better, but I have some DBA rotors to go on which I'll eventually get my finger out and do.

d40rakes

i had 2007 d40 and nissan started tellin me that i needed new front rotors and pads.
well i had them checked by a few other mechanics and they said they were ok.now i tow a 750kg 6 days a week and mannaged to get 96000km before they were replaced.
i still could have donne a few more kms.
the d40 was a manual and i use the gears to slow down as well.
so i reckon it is driving style ???
and nissan ripping people off.again

I have wondered just how many pads and rotors have been replaced prematurely because the mechanic said it was needed but never actually confirmed and bad stories like this make it expected. But suggesting such things usually makes someone go on the defensive.

I had my 50 k service done at a Nissan dealer last week.
Was told that the rotors needed machining because the brakes were noisy...
....thought I would have noticed noisy brakes.
Seems like some up selling to me!

Machining also reduces the rotor thickness much more quickly, so they get the $ for machine and then the $ for a new over-priced set of rotors as well.

That dealership sure knows how to turn a buck. Small business owners take note, if profit levels are down you could always try the back passage approach to service!

I don't know about this. Has anyone seen their stuffed rotors and pads at 40,000? Or have they just gone by what the dealer says. I don't have any 1st hand experience with this problem ... yet ... but I find it hard to believe that a set of rotors could be stuffed after 40,000k's unless you do alot of driving in mud and water and lots of steep downhills.

Then again, we all complain about how things just don't last like they used to.

I'm guessing the rotors must be warped or something at 40,000 to need replacing. You wouldn't have had the vehicle long enough for them to be machined down so much that's why they need replacing. I'll tell ya what, If they are knackered at 40,000, I'd want to see 'em and I wouldn't be replacing 'em with more Nissan ones, I'd go 3rd party.

Makes you wonder why we worry about warrantys at all?????

Holden use to machine commodore rotors at 20 thou and then they would be under size if machined again. So new rotors at 40 thou

Maybe they need to be "hardened" the old fashioned way - driving with dragging brakes for some Ks then allowing them to cool down rapidly - alla a good stretch of 100 K/hr driving with no braking :)
The local brake shop mechanic (recommended by numerous locals) did this for my Pajero with the new DBA kangaroo slotted rotors when fitted all round - 4 yr ago. Made a HUGE difference to the life of the rotors :)
Of course - Caveat - i am NOT a mechanic of any grade, but i DIY almost all things myself.

To answer any questions, My wife says i drive miss daisy most of the time and i'm not hard on the brakes. I still had a small amount of brake pad left which isn't bad after 42,000kms(my previous vehicle Auto VZ SS' brakes lasted 65000kms) but the issue was the rotors and the experts i went to see ,All 3 of them said the same thing... I do a far amount of dirt roads and creek crossings which would have Warped the rotors causing more wear than normal , throw in a few trips to Fraser and Bribie, There wasn't enough left on the rotors for machining.
Which brings me to question whether this is a tough 4WD or a 'soft' bitchumen only towing machine !
By the way, I was shown my rotors after they were removed and shown the legal minimum depth they could go with calipers and there just wasn't enough.
Has anyone fitted slotted rotors to there Nav ? Any good ?

Latest posts

Back