Any financial guru's here.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Dave

Thinking of getting a credit card to build up my credit rating as I thinking of buying a house soon.

Living at home at the moment and its pretty easy, dont pay board just pay for stuff when it breaks.

Which credit card is the best ?

Dave.

Depends what you are going to use it for mate.

Do you want interest-free period? Reward points? Low interest?

Are you going to use it very often for transactions? What sort of limit are you looking at applying for? Whatever you decide remember that they ARE negotiable, they want your business like anyone else.

Good point Jase.

Was thinking a interest free period, never needed a credit card and dont need one really just helps for what I wanna do. Limit will $2000 max, dont want any more then that.

I got 2 Debit cards that a re handy for most things.

Think the first thing will a cooler kit.

Dave.

Mate I would suggest you look for a card with no rewards system, low interest and interest free period (at least 55 days). There are a few around. You will get a lower interest rate from a card with no rewards system because that's how they pay for them, nothing is free. Another thing to take into account is whether it has an annual fee or not.

Check Credit Card Offers | Australian Credit Cards | Compare and Apply has some good info.

Check with the bank you use now as well, sometimes they will reward your loyalty with a good CC deal.

G'day Dave. I've been involved in financial services since 1986. I'm an ex bank manager, and currently doing financial planning and a bit of mortgage broking so thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. If the only reason to get a card is to build up your credit rating, you're wasting your time. Our credit rating system isn't really a rating system at all. It's really a credit reporting system. Basically this means that every time you apply for credit, it is recorded on your file. Change mobile carrier, it gets recorded. Apply for a credit card or loan of some sort, it gets recorded. Even establishing an account with a utilities company gets recorded. Then on the negative side, things like having a default for non-payment recorded or a court judgement against you are 'black marks' against you. The big weakness in our credit reporting system is that it doesn't show any positives. You can make every payment on time over your lifetime and the system doesn't show it.

I have done heaps of loans for people who have nothing recorded on their credit file - it's not a bad thing to have nothing there. So it is a bit of a myth to establish a credit 'rating'.

If you need a credit card, feel free to get one. I'd probably take it out with the bank you intend to get your home loan with, just to establish a bit of a relationship with them. Most banks these days have a range of credit cards that should suit. Just a word of warning though. When the bank assesses your home loan application, they take into consideration your credit card limit. You are obliged to pay 3% of the outstanding balance each month on your card. Because you can draw up to the limit at any time, the bank uses the limit, not the balance, in calculating your monthly commitment. If for example you have a $20,000 limit, but clear the balance each month, the bank will factor in a monthly commitment of $600, which is taken off your capacity to pay off a home loan and will have a pretty big impact on how much they will lend you. If your limit is only $1,000, the monthly commitment is only $30, and so has bugger all effect on what they will lend you.

The other thing to bear in mind is that home loan lending has tightened up a fair bit in the last 18 months. Many banks will ask you for a savings record, where you can show that you have been putting money aside at the rate of $x per month for at least 6 months. Showing just a deposit of $x amount in your account is not enough, because someone could have lent this to you - you need to prove that you have saved it. You used to be able to borrow 100% of the purchase price, but this has been reduced to 90 or 95% in a lot of cases.

The other thing they look for is stability - both of employment and residence. Usually they go by 2 years - 2 years in your current home and 2 years in you current job. These aren't deal breakers though, but they will want to know why you've moved around.

Hope this helps. I'm dealing witha woman in her 40's who is buying her first home and has $30,000 on her credit cards, hence my warning. A fair bit of generalisations in the above. Feel free to ask any questions on the forum or by PM.

Bullwinkle mate thanks for the reply, sorry I didn't get back sooner.

Only loan I have had is for the ute, max on a card I would ever go is $2000.

Gonna check with my bank and see what they can do.

Thanks again.

Dave.

yeah watch credit cards, i dont know your situation but im in the same kind of boat living with the olds.
but i get paid monthly so i have to have it just incase.
have you got a car loan cause that is credit rating?
well get a card leave it at home and when you want to buy something for the ute pay on it and put the money on it straight away

It wont be something I will carry on me thats for sure. Would be handy for emergencies, I get paid fortnightly so its not a big thing.

Ute should be paid off in about 6 months and I have no plans to upgrade.

Dave.

Dave, the loan for the ute will have established your credit worthiness with the bank, and also demonstrate your capacity to meet commitments, sort of like a savings history. It's a good idea to keep the limit on any card to an affordable figure. I've seen so many people get in strife with credit cards.

Latest posts

Back