07 rear LSD not working??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twodogs

Reaction score
Hi all, haven't been on here for over a year the last time was basically to complain about the crap suspension, crap clutch and crap gear ratios in my 07 V6 petrol Navara and how my 4X2 01 V6 Manual Rodeo shit all over it as a good reliable tough all rounder work ute (not a cent spent for 200,000 K's just oil changes/Filters and a set of tyres). Now I am back again to ask about the rear diff......this is suppose to be a LSD is it not?? Then why can I jack one wheel up and leave the other on the ground and I can spin the wheel that is up quite easily??

I noticed this some time back and have been meaning to ask this question on this forum. When I rang Nissan the workshop foreman was to call me back that was months ago. With all LSD's I have experienced in the past Ford 9", Holden 10 bolt I am sure it is normally a resistance of at least 80 ftlb to get that free wheel to turn, so this is telling me my LSD is not working or is it a different type of set up? My Nav has 100,000 on it with the diff oil being changed at 60,000 when I purchased it using Castrol LSD90. I am really unsure as to weather it was even working then as I only really use the ute to tow a van (no four wheeling yet) and the rest of the time my missus drives it as I ride a bike to work.

If my LSD is buggared has any body else experienced the same thing and if so what is the cost involved in getting it right. To me it just seems like another Navara stuff up like the rest of the vehicle because surely the clutch plates or cones (what ever is in there) haven't worn out yet..........but then again the clutch's are hopeless. I was lucky and probably because mine is a petrol with less torque then the diesels but I babied my clutch to about 80,000 (should at least get 250,000 if not using as 4X4) and it was slipping like anything by then. I ended up fitting a solid flywheel aftermarket kit, sooooooo much better. So it wouldn't surprise me if the LSD set ups are stuffed as well. This ute definitely was designed for Mums taking the kids to School or soccer. Claytons 4X4 or work ute, if it is Australia's toughest I would hate to see the weakest!!

The lsd wont work until it's warmed up and under pressure,thats why you can spin a wheel
while jacked up,my clutch just clocked up 210000 kms yesterday.
Just sell it and buy another rodeo.

there crap from day one thats why i put a locker in my 06 rx, now have a new 2012 st and dont need one because it has traction control, the only fix is a diff lock i would sugest an e locker there good cheers

Hi all, haven't been on here for over a year the last time was basically to complain about the crap suspension, crap clutch and crap gear ratios in my 07 V6 petrol Navara and how my 4X2 01 V6 Manual Rodeo shit all over it as a good reliable tough all rounder work ute (not a cent spent for 200,000 K's just oil changes/Filters and a set of tyres).

Thats cause they were made by isuzu....

When you lifted one wheel and turned it, was it in neutral? It will only lock when in gear (if the LSD is ok).

Alan

Of course it will lock if it is in gear. You will be then trying to spin the engine over through the wheel you are trying to turn, that is why you can jack one wheel up with a conventional diff and start the vehicle up and put it into gear and spin the raised wheel, this you cannot do with a LSD. If the limited slip was working and both wheels were jacked up and you spun one wheel the other will turn in the same direction a conventional diff or one with a LSD that doesn't work will have the other wheel spinning in the opposite direction, my wheels spin in opposite directions. If somebody can please explain the mechanicals of the LSD warming up then being able to operate I would be very interested in reading this as I would think that it would work from cold and it was actually the quality of the oil that is used that would keep the diff operating correctly throughout the temperature ranges encountered, plus the fact that the diff is set up correctly to operate as a LSD should.

Finally got a Nissan workshop guy to speak to me and he said yes the diffs do wear out and the LSD operation does get weaker over a period of time and they have been removing diffs and sending them to diff shops for rebuilds, but of course the vehicle is out of warranty by this stage. So I would suggest the you jack one wheel up and see if you can spin it to see if your LSD is actually working. Chalk up another one for Australia's toughest!!

Last edited:
Just had mine rebuit last week - $2300 with ARB locker. Known flaw the LSD wear out sub 100K- this place has done a heap of them - chew the teeth off so metal in your oil when you drain it.

Correct when in Neutral turn one wheel and the other whould turn direction, but mine one wheel only turned like an open wheeler, and turned stiff due to metal in the brearing.

I like you agree - regret the day I bought my D40.

Diff Technics in Production Ave Kogarah just rebuilt it and fitted locker up - No LSD now though.

Latest posts

Back