Roof Rack Leak

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee367

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I have noticed yesterday arvo when i got in the car it had that wet smell as we had rain in the morning.
After looking around it appears to be leaking from where the Rhino roof rack attaches to the car under the door rubber.
Has any one else had this problem? I just got the car last week and i assume the are mounted correctly from the previous owner.
Thanks

When i picked up my latest D40, the stealership had fitted the clamp on Rihno rack instead of what i asked for and later got and when it rained they were dripping in from around the clamps. I have no idea if it could of been fixed as i just got them to get them off and put the track mount ones on like i had ordered.

I'd recommend taking it back to where they were fitted or removing the rails and dropping a bead of sicaflex around the bolt holes then fitting the rails back up, a pain yes but is required to stop water entering the cab.

These were on it when i got it. I may have to get some pictures but there are no screw holes it is a bracket that just sits in under the rubber seal. When it rains the water appears to be getting in where the brackets are under the seal and running down. Its not a huge amount but enough to create the wet smell and slightly damp the carpet.
I was hoping someone else has had this issue and found a fix.

So your clamp on rails are leaking...
Glad I saw this as I'm soon to be buying roof racks and I was leaning towards those ones

Well im not sure if this is the issue or not. The Rhino racks are great but where they clamp on under the rubber seal then the door closes it looks like there is a gap in the seal which is where the water could be coming from.

So your clamp on rails are leaking...
Glad I saw this as I'm soon to be buying roof racks and I was leaning towards those ones

The trouble with the CLAMP ON ones is not only do they seem to be prone to leaks but they can only carry 35KG when on the black top and HALF of that when OFF ROAD so your down to 17KG per rack!! thats not enough for a spare wheel and a gerry can for eg. the track mount are the way to go, I have had them on all my utes and never had any probs and thats with carrying some serious weight, like an entire house worth of fascia, gutter and a stack load of 6m planks and ladders.

Can you buy just the rail mounts for the Rhino racks to replace the clamp on ones? How do the rail mount ones actually mount?
I didnt realise that is all they can carry.

Can you buy just the rail mounts for the Rhino racks to replace the clamp on ones? How do the rail mount ones actually mount?
I didnt realise that is all they can carry.

Yes you can buy the parts needed to change over but all you will really end up keeping is your rails.
The track gets mounted directly to the double skinned part of the roof at the outer edge. It is held on by large pop rivets, you first drill all the holes and just sit the rivets in the holes, once that is done remove the rivets and the rail and run a bead of silicone around holes then reinstall the rail and pop all rivets.
It sounds scary but it works and if done properly they never leak.

Latest posts

Back