welding to chassis? legal or need engineers??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoY

Reaction score
Hi all. As title says just wondering if welding to chassis is legal without engineers. Thinking of welding some sliderz to my d40.

Cheers

Im not 100% sure about all welds, but i know if you weld the sliders directly to the chassis that is illegal because they are not able to be removed, BUT as far as i am aware you can weld a plate on the chassis and bolt the sliders to that plate that way they are fully removable.

My sliders are mounted like that and from what i have been told they are fine, no engineer report needed.

Nice. Thanks for that mate. Was thinking of doing exactly what u did. Bolt sliders to plate. Just a bit worried about warranty and insurance claims with welding a plate to chassis.

I went to an independent 4X4 shop and ARB last week and both said you are "not allowed" to weld plates to the chassis when asking about sliders.

I have also read the opposite. Not sure if it is a case of vested interests.

I was a lot of help hey?

You are not meant to weld to the chassis ! It will cause cracks and weaken the chassis.

You are not meant to weld to the chassis ! It will cause cracks and weaken the chassis.

I can't see how it would cause cracks. If its arch welded on you aren't putting extreme heat for a long period of time. Drilling may weaken chassis but even that I think is ok. I have also read for and against so still as lost as ever

The chassis is normally made from min 450Mpa steel...same as Buses and trucks--look at what they say ?

what weld procedure would you use to weld the chassis JOY ?

Places like Macquarie 4x4 have been on 4wd TV showing how they put sliders on an 80 series Landy, the method they used was the same as me and that is welding a plate to the chassis.
They are a big company and manufacture a heap of 4x4 accessories and they don't seem to have a problem with it.
I'm not sure how many set of sliders scottybobcat from this forum has sold for the d40 but its quite a few dozen and no one has mentioned any probs or chassis cracking ect.
If a chassis that is bent can be straightened by a panel beater and then still be road worthy I'm fine with welding a few SMALL plates on my chassis and the last two D40's I've owned have had it done with out an issue.

I used to work at a panel beaters and we repaired rust in chassis's many times.
We used mig welders and no problems.
Some of the cars we worked on had yellow stickers(work orders ) and would need inspection at the pits for relicencing.
The only requirements that they'd request would be the welded areas where to be left unsealed so they could visually inspect them.
The car would then be brought back to us to finish off with underseal.
So I can't see why anyone would have a problem with welding on a plate or two.
Craig.

Just spoke to a panel beater. He said that sliders are generally ok but if ur car has side or curtain air bags they must not be welded. It compromises crumple zone (by making it stronger) and airbags may not work correctly. =/

Just spoke to a panel beater. He said that sliders are generally ok but if ur car has side or curtain air bags they must not be welded. It compromises crumple zone (by making it stronger) and airbags may not work correctly. =/

ARB have done testing on an actual Navara to find out the answer to that exact issue.
They found out that it DOESN'T effect the side air bags at all as they are triggered by G-FORCE and are not triggered by "crumple zones" so while that may be correct for other brands of vehicle it is most definitely NOT the case with the D40.

ARB have done testing on an actual Navara to find out the answer to that exact issue.
They found out that it DOESN'T effect the side air bags at all as they are triggered by G-FORCE and are not triggered by "crumple zones" so while that may be correct for other brands of vehicle it is most definitely NOT the case with the D40.

Fair enough. Just spoke to scotty and my sliders are getting fitted up this Saturday. Can't wait. I checked out ur garage ate nice ride. How u finding Scott's sliders? Tested them out yet? Also are urs welded to chassis?

Fair enough. Just spoke to scotty and my sliders are getting fitted up this Saturday. Can't wait. I checked out ur garage ate nice ride. How u finding Scott's sliders? Tested them out yet? Also are urs welded to chassis?

Yeah mate mine have the plates welded to the chassis, and YES the sliders have been well and truly tested as i have had the same set on my last D40 and kept them for the current D40 and they get a work out every time i go bush.
They are strong as all get out and have saved my ute on more then one occasion.

There are some photos of my sliders on my old Black D40 in action in scotty's sliders thread.

totally illegal!! it's ok for a panel beater to weld for repairs as they are qualified to do repairs back to factory standards, anything else needs engineering.
I have rego failed many cars for people welding brackets on chassis themselves, it isn't only dangerous but compromises the integrity of the cold rolled chassis box section.
are you a certified welder?? no? don't touch it!!
Get an engineers certificate for every structural modification you make.
If you modify your vehicle like that yourself and it causes an accident, YOU are liable for all costs an damages, you will not be insured for anything like that.
Long winded I know, so to summarise, don't weld onto your chassis

All the plates welded on my chassis were done by a mate who did two trades as a boiler maker and a fitter more then 20yrs ago so i think he is more then qualified to weld, and i have never had an issue so i will do it again and again if need be.
Thanks all the same Jarvis,
actually being a Camden boy you would probably know the guy who im talking about.

just to clarify nathand22, any modifications to the chassis of a vehicle need engineering signatory according to the rta safety check details.
to be perfectly honest a good welder probably does better welds than the factory especially onthe piss weak thin d40 chassis!
btw, gotta love Camden !

Latest posts

Back