Oil Level

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cabhsv

Reaction score
just did an oil and filter change on my 3ltr turbo d22 navara I put int the required amount of oil as the manual says 6.7ltrs do you check the level a little after running the engine to see the correct level as it was correct but when I checked it in the morning after it was past the full mark. just wanting to know what everyone else does to check the oil level.

don't check mine often enuf but did the other day and it was way past the full mark, probably about 3/4"!
i'll probably drop the oil @ 15,000km and change it and the filter myself and attempt to measure how much oil comes out.
i reckon it was just sercived by an apprentice having a bad day.
oh well, that's what warranty is for if anything goes wrong.
as for ur 5mm past i wouldn't be too concerned, it really doesn't take much to read overfull. just something to try, before you dip it again, clean the dipstick vigorously with a rough fabric, have had a couple of occasions where a silicone like build up can adhere to the dipstick and it couses oil to travel up the stick, sounds crazy i know but i'm not pullin ur chain!
another thing is, try turning dipstick over and redipping, in some applications or at certain oil temps the angle that the dipstick enters the supme can give you inaccurate readings.

About 5mm past the full mark.

thats not too bad, but dont be too keen on overfilling the sump as too much oil is no good for performance,
and also can flood the cylinder walls to the extent where the oil control rings cannot control the amount of extra oil, thus getting into the combustion chamber causing conditions you don't want to have.

After a few oil changes you'll get used to how much new oil is the right amount to put in.
I always put in about half a litre short of the listed amount ,
them slowly creep up to the dipstick level.

When checking the dipstick, on level ground, always pull out and wipe clean, then put back in for few seconds then out and take your reading.

And just a tip for anyone with the 2.5 TD CR engine wanting to use a
NON BY-PASS compatible oil filter for 100% fully filtered oil use a
RYCO Z170 type.

Cheers.

One of the things I like about my new Nav is the "Oil Good" display in the odometer LCD display as the ignition key hits "on". If I push the odometer reset button, whilst the Oil Good is lit up, it shows me on a 1-5 scale how much oil I have in the sump. Sweet!

DJ

One of the things I like about my new Nav is the "Oil Good" display in the odometer LCD display as the ignition key hits "on". If I push the odometer reset button, whilst the Oil Good is lit up, it shows me on a 1-5 scale how much oil I have in the sump. Sweet!

DJ

that's cool, finally something the d22 has over d40! mind you, i'll be checkin d40 in the morning for curiousitys sake.

i noticed the same thing when i changed my oil the other day, there must be a large amount of oil held in the head of the zd30, if you leave the oil, level with the full mark after letting it run down, leave for at least 2 hours, when you start the engine and check as soon as you shut it down oil drops to below the add mark, i put more oil than they recommended in so it was on the full mark with the head full of oil. haha i just wonder what i have got myself into with this engine!

You never get all the oil out on a change, some always hangs around, so putting the manuals amount is no good . I always put in around 6 litres, start up and run for a few minutes so the oil filter takes up its share then top up as required.

DJ

i thought that just works out how good the oil is in relation to how many km's until your next set oil change (5,000km)

On the D40, according to the manual, if you hold down the trip meter button for more than 3 seconds while the "Distance to service (oil change)" is displayed, the display will start flashing and will allow you to adjust the service interval from 0 (disabled) to 40 (max, = 40,000km).

Could this be a related function, as maddogrc indicates?

just saw something in the manual...

it says for the yd25ddti 4x2 to put in 5.6L and for the 4x4 to put in 4.3L...

why would the 2wd take 1.3L more?

also does anyone know the model number for the d22 yd25 common rail oil filters? cheers

just saw something in the manual...

it says for the yd25ddti 4x2 to put in 5.6L and for the 4x4 to put in 4.3L...

why would the 2wd take 1.3L more?

no diff to get in the way of sump. ie sumps cut down to fit the front axle and diff.

I always let my oil drain overnight then plug it and top it the next day and then let it run for a bit then switch it off and check oil levels, top up if necessary.

I fill my engine by using a measuring jug of oil.

The ZD30 dipstick isn't the best indicator.

Dave.

So how much do you put in to the engine?^

Great site by the way.

I have a 2004 nissan frontier with the ZD30. I think we call it the D22 here in TRINIDAD.

Latest posts

Back